Pitstop CMYK mapped to closest Pantone color

Russ_G

I realize this is the reverse of what most people would want, but is there a way to map a cmyk color to it's closest match in a Pantone spot color? I know i can look at percentages or lab values and figure it out myself and map it to spot color I've come up with, but is there anything already in Pitstop that will do this?

We are using Pitstop 11 btw.

I have not found a way to “automate” the reverse lookup.

I like to use the Photoshop colour picker. There are a number of factors at play here.

First Lab colour is the intermediate “translation” space.

Modern Pantone spot colour library files are based on Lab values.

CMYK numbers have no definition of “colour” by themselves, when an ICC profile is associated with the CMYK values, then we have a known Lab colour.

In the case of a CMYK to Spot lookup, the CMYK values are associated with a given ICC profile and rendering intent, which produces a specific Lab colour value. The Lab colour value is then compared to the spot colour library Lab colour value. I am not sure what method Photoshop uses for the “closest match”. If using a spot colour instead of CMYK, one has to consider whether the spot colour is close to/limited to a particular press CMYK colour gamut - or does it use a wider gamut spot colour (not close to the CMYK colour, however it will probably be a “better” colour).

Stephen Marsh

I realize this is the reverse of what most people would want, but is there a way to map a cmyk color to it's closest match in a Pantone spot color? I know i can look at percentages or lab values and figure it out myself and map it to spot color I've come up with, but is there anything already in Pitstop that will do this?

----------

I use the script CMYK to PMS in Illustrator - have been using it for years.
Does a fine job.
Photoshop does a good job - but ... to many steps setting it up and turning it back off.

I really do not have much confidence in PitStops color handling.

MSD

Mapping

Mapping

There's no way in PitStop to search the alternate colors of the Pantone libraries to find the closest match to the CMYK value, at least not yet.
As mentioned you can use another application to do it and then remap in PitStop once you know what color you want to go to.

I have been putting cmyk values in Photoshop to get the closest spot color, however I sometimes question the results I get. I will try that Illy script and see how that works. Thanks.

Hello,

Converting CMYK to Pantone and vice versa is a dangerous game but from time to time I have no other option. I use CMYK to PMS in Illustrator and it's pretty good.

Your other option is Art Directors Toolkit. You can match CMYK to PMS by Hue, Saturation or Brightness. There is a free trial and you need to select the magnifiying glass at the bottom of the SWATCH tab.

Code Line | Art Directors Toolkit

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back