Placing PDF into InDesign makes it look washed out?

bgardner

I think this is a color setting in InDesign, but I can not seem to change it to where it makes a difference.

I was supplied a PDF of an ad from a client. They made the PDF out of InDesign, which does contain an image. In Pitstop I verified that the image was CMYK. Viewing the PDF in Acrobat, the colors look perfect, but when I do a file place into InDesign, and place the same PDF, it then turns very washed out and dull looking.

Hopefully what I am describing makes sense.

I think this is a color setting in InDesign, but I can not seem to change it to where it makes a difference.

I was supplied a PDF of an ad from a client. They made the PDF out of InDesign, which does contain an image. In Pitstop I verified that the image was CMYK. Viewing the PDF in Acrobat, the colors look perfect, but when I do a file place into InDesign, and place the same PDF, it then turns very washed out and dull looking.

Hopefully what I am describing makes sense.

Do you have your display performance in InDesign set for High Quality Display, or is it set to Typical Display? Remember that you are viewing the PDF as a linked file, so you are not viewing the actual PDF.

-Sev

To add to Sev's suggestion, remember that InDesign will use it's current CMYK working space (check in "Edit/Color Settings") to display your placed PDF color, unless the ID document was assigned with a different color profile using "Assign Profile..." If your Acrobat working CMYK working space or your PDF output intent are different from your InDesign CMYK working space or current assigned profile you may see a color difference while CMYK % readings should remain identical. Check if the PDF has an output intent using the "Output Preview" pane in Acrobat and use that profile to softproof your document in InDesign. Color should then look the same in both applications.

If you wish to verify the end result and forget about the InDesign side of things...

Make a PDF from the placed PDF in InDesign (preserve colour numbers).

The new PDF should have the same ICC profiles and or output intent profile as the original (or no profiles if using uncalibrated CMYK).

Then view both PDF files in Acrobat - do they have the same visual appearance and the same colour numbers in the file for various elements?

Stephen Marsh

Viewing the output preview in Acrobat, the output Intent is US newsprint (SNAP 2007)

I see that in InDesign also, under working spaces.

How can i show you guys/gals a screen shot of what I see?

Make sure that in InDesign:

1- View/Display Performance: high quality display
2- View/Overprint Preview is checked (your PDF should also be viewed in overprint in Acrobat)
3- Edit/Assign Profile - under CMYK working space should be "SNAP 2007"
4- View/ Proof Setup/working CMYK - SNAP 2007 should be checked. If not, go to custom and select "SNAP 2007" as the condition to simulate. Check "Simulate Black Ink" and "Simulate Paper Color" only if they are also checked in the "Output Preview" pane of Acrobat.
5- View/ Proof Color should be checked

As far as I know, by doing the above color should display the same in both apps. If it still doesn't work, try posting the PDF somewhere so we can try it on our end...

Colorblind, you are a genius!!!

I have been using InDesign since version 2.0, and I never even got involved in those settings. I guess I don't know as much as I thought I did!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back