Plate clamps set to zero

Alex Arriaza

we have a old komori L640 and it takes from 60 to 200 min to achieve register on all 6 units, that time is when we are lucky enough, there are no "zero" set on the units, i want to put all the unit in the mechanical zero and then mark it, so every time we have a new job we put them set no zero and start making adjustments as needed from there.

Has any one done this, and what is the best way to do it, because i dont have much time, i only have 4 hours per unit so its really important i dont fool around with this one.

Thanks

One more thing, if register is taking as long as you say, your company should be willing to invest more than 24 hours into finding the solution because they could save hundreds of hours of production time over a single year.

Maybe this link is better for Ternes:

NPES.com.cn|NELA-TERNES REGISTER GROUP

Plate zero

Plate zero

If this is an old press you Judi use the plate wrench to set zero
put the wrench between the clamp and loosen the bolts this will insure that all units are at the same poinif not then roll the cylindars unroll the are
if you're having to doll with every job you need a lesson on how to hang plates
don't have time now
glad to later
Lenny R

I can relate to this! used to be a nightmare before we found our mechanical zero on our Roland 204. The wrench approach is not acurate enough if you ask me. Are there any scales on you cylinders.

How much are the Plate Clamps out? It's possible you had a jam and a plate cylinder has moved and you will have to return it to the correct position. Some Komori's have a adjustment to finetune cylinders. It's located on the delivery gooseneck.

I can relate to this! used to be a nightmare before we found our mechanical zero on our Roland 204. The wrench approach is not acurate enough if you ask me. Are there any scales on you cylinders.

no they have no scales, this is the idea i have, i want to make 6 plates, with only register axises on them, and from there try to achieve register, from there i will go to one of the cylinders and try to set it to zero, well not zero but 0 degree slope, and that clamp should be my zero, and from there i could obtain zero position on the rest of the clamps, once i have this done i could make an scale on each cylinder using different values on the PQC. Does this sound logic? i mean is there other way to do it?

We had a similar prob with an old Roland rekord, more a case of mulitple monkeys over the years fiddling with shit they shouldn't have.. Setting the front clamps to zero on the scale caused more probs than simply leaving them alone, at least they had been more or less zeroed from last job! Eventually i simply backed the front clamps to the stops (GTO operator from way back) and moved cylinders to get them positioned up, and cut make ready time in half at least if not better... simple and it worked, but if tweaking of a plate was required you only twist it into the grip...i could live with that :)

i agree that a ternes register system is the way to go in your case. If you opt to go the cheaper route id suggest image "hang marks" on your plates and then after the jog is fit you can scribe corresponding hang marks on the edges of your cylinders. if you go with the hang marks idea then you should commit to the time required to be extremely precise in both your registering the job and in accurately scribing the marks.
If its taking you that long to fit a 6/c job my guess is that you dont have the most skilled pressman turnin the wrenches. Perhaps you should honestly evaluate this before spending money in vain. Even back in the old days before ctp and current plate hanging technology i was able to get register and critical color in about an hour on a 40 inch press

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back