Preflight is clean yet font problems listed in Acrobat

hohmj0kw

CS4 ID Export to PDF
Preflight is clean
When attempting output after RIP in Prinergy, error message "Bad Font Descriptor" appears.
A breakdown of Fonts information reveals that there are indeed issues with the fonts.

I am attaching a screen shot of an Acrobat Preflight Report. I have every font/text related Custom Check turned on.

The only fix is to create outlines.

Is there a CS4 bug out there? Is there a Prinergy RIP explanation?

Attachments

• CleanPreflight-BadFont.pdf
    153.7 KB · Views: 287
CS4 ID Export to PDF
Preflight is clean
When attempting output after RIP in Prinergy, error message "Bad Font Descriptor" appears.

Do you have any more information than that??? That's a pretty vague error report. Also, we need the actual PDF in question to be able to see if the error is in Prinergy (and you don't mention version) or something else.

Have you tried printing directly from Acrobat? Does that work? What about to a different printer?

A breakdown of Fonts information reveals that there are indeed issues with the fonts.

THe screen shot you supplied is NOT a real problem - you need to better understand how to read the information that PReflight presents you.

You may have EPS or PDF files within the PDF which have fonts inside them which the preflights don't always pick up. You can find out by trying to rasterize them in Photoshop just to see if any font errors come up. Or in the case of PDFs (within your PDF) - open the original one and preflight that too.

Initially, no. I have Ripped with both the cpsi and the appe RIPs and both had the same error at output

You don't indicate where in the process Prinergy is finding a font problem. As a workflow system, Prinergy has any number of steps and processes before the final RIP process either by CPSI or the Adobe PDF Print Engine. In fact, unless you turn off the option, Prinergy will convert every incoming PDF into PostScript and then use the Normalizer to then create PDF again in a somewhat archaic attempt to produce "consistent" PDF. Then the PDF is chopped up into single page PDF files which are sent to the RIP individually (as well as being separately color managed and trapped depending upon the options specified. If you are using the Adobe PDF Print Engine as the final RIP, kill that initial PDF=>PostScript=>PDF refining step. All it does is literally ruin your PDF.

- Dov

I am all ears. There are comments to font descriptors missing strings and such. The file itself does not fail preflight. I would like to know what these comments mean, why they are reported, and the potential for working with files that have these comments.

So yes, I agree, I need to better understand the reports. Hence, the posting.

InSite PDF Render to TIFF and VPS to virtual proof fail. Prinergy 4.1.2.6.78
Only Prinergy output failure. Common thread - These errors to output have similar, clean preflight reports with additional comments to fonts.

Here is a file.

Attachments

• sig1.1_REJUV_R1_ 10.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 280
Here is the error message.

PDF to PostScript conversion has reported the following: Bad font object or font descriptor object. Error Mar 22, 2010 9:42:23 AM

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back