Text ok in Acrobat 8 not ok in Acrobat 9

Christopher

Hello,

I have a PDF file that was exported from InDesign CS4, PDF version 1.7. The PDF displays properly when viewed within Acrobat 9 Pro. I performed an Acrobat 9 preflight along with an Enfocus Pitstop preflight. Both reports are clean. When I open the same file within Acrobat Pro 8, certain characters for the font MyriadPro-Regular (Type 1, Embedded Subset) default to boxes when viewed. Upon further inspection, the Pitstop preflight report lists MyriadPro-Regular three times under the Encoding catagory. Once as Identity-H, WinAnsi and Custom. Unsure of what this means, possible conflict of interest when Acrobat 8 tries to properly display the font on screen? The other larger question is why do the fonts display differently between Acrobat 8 and 9?

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
If Adobe finds limitations in Acrobat 8 it will fix for Acrobat 9. In CS4 the PDF text engine was reworked, if you need Acrobat 8 to display correct I would recommend using a PDFx standard, PDFx4 if you need transparency. If it would be correct in Acrobat 8 and not so in Acrobat 9 I would be more worried ;). Since Acrobat X is out I would recommend looking at what is compatible if you want to save to older Acrobat.

Thank you Lukas,

I created postscript and distilled the file as a 1.3 PDF. When I view this file within Acrobat 8, the fonts that were defaulting in appearance are now viewing properly. I have to believe that the version (1.7 PDF) was the problem with this file.

Regards,

Chris

I think if you are happy with a 1.3 export to a PDFx1a, and skip the distiller, it will still work in Acrobat 8 and it's a cleaner workflow. :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back