Preps 5.33 Crop Mark Question

zcto7

I recently started using preps at my company's small print shop, and I ran into a problem that I can't solve. When I make a work and turn imposition, preps wants to add crop marks that lie on the trim line. I ran through most of the training guide but could not find any instance of this in the guide.

Any idea's on how to fix this? I attached a photo that shows the problem area.

Attachments

• Preps_Crops.jpg
    Preps_Crops.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 214
Yes it is very annoying that the "Smart" crop mark can't figure out the gutter or lack of one in a work and turn. The only work around is to apply crops to the individual pages where you have control over the individual marks. Go under the Template Menu/Modify Template Page/Add Crop Marks. It's a bit more time consuming but it gets the job done and if the marks are the same for multiple pages you can just shift click to grab more than one page at a time.

Hope this helps.

Jackie

Hold down the Option key, and select the mark you wish to delete. Very fast, this way you dont have to use Static Marks. If you dont hold down the option key, it will delete the whole set of crop marks. Holding down the option key will allow you to select only the marks that you wish to delete.

-Sev

Wow thanks Sev!, thats really going to speed things up!

Speaking of Work & Turns in Preps, is there a way to manually edit the gutter width in the middle? I have just been adding the outside gutter and middle gutter and subtracting what I wanted to give me the final gutter on the left/outside.

Wow thanks Sev!, thats really going to speed things up!

Speaking of Work & Turns in Preps, is there a way to manually edit the gutter width in the middle? I have just been adding the outside gutter and middle gutter and subtracting what I wanted to give me the final gutter on the left/outside.
I havent found a way...just adjust your left margin to get the desired result

Another way to do a work & turn in Preps is not use the work & turn style. Just make it a one-sided two page layout. Then you can click on the center gutter and put in your gutter amount.

-Sev

But then when you proof the job it will not back it self up.

John

Sure it will back it self up. You still making a work & turn, but telling it to be single-sided in Preps. Then you proof just like a normal work & turn. But now you have more control over the individual pages. I use both methods often, depending on the job, and how I want the finished template to work.

-Sev

Sure it will back it self up. You still making a work & turn, but telling it to be single-sided in Preps. Then you proof just like a normal work & turn. But now you have more control over the individual pages. I use both methods often, depending on the job, and how I want the finished template to work.

-Sev

Coming from Dynastrip, that's how I started out in preps, you just have to be perfectly centered up :)

Some workflows (like Prinergy) will send a work-and-turn proof to the proofer twice so that you can back it up without resending the file. If you set it up as a single-sided, Prinergy won't do that for you.

I've used "real" work-and-turns ever since I started using Preps 10 years ago. It was only a couple years ago that I found out that lots of folks do "fake" ones by using the single-sided method. I never cared for the fake way because when using a real WT, I am absolutely positive that everything backs up properly - marks (before smart marks), independent pages, etc. Granted, it is easier to specify the center gutters on single-sided, but it's not too difficult to do the math.

I spent much time giving feedback to Scenic, then to creo aand finally to kodak, but they seemed to take all that feedback and put it in developing their own system, rather than fixing preps, even though upgrades were priced outrageously high. I am glad AGFA are making their own imposition module, can hardly wait to make preps redundant.

If Agfa's impo solution is anything like Apogee (and I'll bet it is, since it will work within Apogee), then I think I'll stick with Preps for now.

Some workflows (like Prinergy) will send a work-and-turn proof to the proofer twice so that you can back it up without resending the file. If you set it up as a single-sided, Prinergy won't do that for you.

I've used "real" work-and-turns ever since I started using Preps 10 years ago. It was only a couple years ago that I found out that lots of folks do "fake" ones by using the single-sided method. I never cared for the fake way because when using a real WT, I am absolutely positive that everything backs up properly - marks (before smart marks), independent pages, etc. Granted, it is easier to specify the center gutters on single-sided, but it's not too difficult to do the math.

One advantage of using "real" work-and-turns is if you are using independent pages, you only have to calculate the page position for one side, and Preps does the calculations for the second side. Saves alot of time and math.

-Sev

Yes, I simply do not use the work and turn feature. I build my template with the pages positioned to work and turn when they are placed in the template.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back