Preps 6: Problem with Bleeds...

I'm working in Preps 6.2.1 and having an issue with making 2 pages bleed on all side. These 2 pages are overlapping one another, and where they touch neither page will bleed on those sides. I went back to Preps 5.33 and made it work but unable to duplicate in 6. Any suggestions would be great!

Why do you need them to bleed into each other?
What makes you think Preps 5.3.3 is letting them bleed into each other?
Why is an accurate butting of the two pages against each other not an adequate solution?

Al

You must use placeholders (independent pages in 5.3) instead of the imposed one
We need to do the same for some interlocking diecuts.

Last edited:
OK, I can see the ned with interlocking die cuts. I was also going to ask him if he was using imposed pages or independent one, but I was thinking in terms of printed visual image content, so I asked as I did.

Let's wait for a response from him.

Al

Hi Guys,
Thx for the responses! The job is a Pocket Folder. We're also trying to slam on a reply card to the same sheet and the only way to do so was to place it in the area that's being die cut out. But I still need both pieces to bleed. I was able to get this to work in Preps 5.3 but would prefer to work in 6, and can't figure out if it's a limitation of the new version of Preps.

I've attached a PDF showing the issue. Check out the crop marks and you'll see where pgs. are not bleeding. I've tried using placeholders in Preps 6 but still no luck!

Attachments

• Bleed issue.pdf
    70.2 KB · Views: 195
I can't comment on Preps 6 as I am still on 5.3.3.

BUT, why does the Acrobat document properties window for your pdf report the pdf producer as Adobe Acrobat 9.5.2 Image Conversion Plug-In instead of Preps 6.x? Was your pdf generated by Preps 6?

Al

Ok... I've got he answer!:

By default bleed will automatically be turned off when pages overlap in Preps 6. Crops will also be turned off.
If you want the crops and bleed to show and over lap we just need to make an adjustment in your CFG file.
It is a global setting so if for some jobs you want the bleed off and some you want it on you may want to create two profiles and toggle back and forth as needed.

With Preps closed, and using Text Edit open the CFG file Preps is using (it will have a save date of the last time you closed PREPS)
In your CFG file look for a line "Autobleed:yes"

Change that to NO
Save the CFG file

Now all new jobs will have the crops and bleeds not turn off when the pages over lap

This was straight from KODAK, they were very helpful! Thx to everyone who responded!

Ian

@Ian:

Thank you for that valuable info. I will use it when Imove up to 6.

@ margadri:

Did you have the Autobleed line set to NO when you failed to reproduce Ian's problem?

Al

Sorry. You were right
My mistake
No bleeds like Ian.
I don't know what I was looking at earlier.
Same problem.
@ Ian Thank you for the fix

EDIT: Even with fix suggested still having no bleeds.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-25 at 11.20.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-25 at 11.20.13 AM.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 163
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-25 at 12.13.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-25 at 12.13.03 PM.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 176
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-25 at 12.19.59 PM.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Margadri,

This didn't work for me until I went back to the DEFAULT preference in PREPS. In Preferences under Profile Name: use "Default". Before that I was using a custom profile. I tried to edit that CFG file, but saw no lines for "AUTOBLEED". I believe you need to restart the MAC in order for this to take effect.

Ian

Margadri,

This didn't work for me until I went back to the DEFAULT preference in PREPS. In Preferences under Profile Name: use "Default". Before that I was using a custom profile. I tried to edit that CFG file, but saw no lines for "AUTOBLEED". I believe you need to restart the MAC in order for this to take effect.

Ian

Thank you Ian
I did change the preferences on the default file (the only cfg I could see)
The problem probably is that we use a floating license and preps is on a server
No biggies anyway.
We impose easier in Illustrator because of interlocking bleeds.
We don't do that many packaging jobs anymore and we don't need Pandora
If needed we use Preps 5 on an old PC.
Anyhow, I stand by my opinion.
Preps 6 suck and always will suck.
Kodak, instead of improving you go backwards.
Pay the right people to develop your software, not the cheapest you can find.
Do you have some cheese to go with this "whine"? :)

Last edited:
A simple job like that I would have worked with indesign. I hope cramming that card on that sheet doesn't give you too much ghosting with that solid.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back