Preps 7.5 collation marks for mixed binding styles

Gianni_S

Hi Forumer,
I ask for your help, I am going crazy on little detail in a job.I have a 160pages job. This should be divided in 10 signatures. Each is made by 4 pages printed on a Xerox on 4 sheets.
My question seems easy (if you know the answer): How to put the collation mark on the first sheet of every signature?

Details: Signature A1 to A4 are binded like saddle stitch, same for A5 to A8, A1 and A5 are perfect bound. I need to place a collation mark on A1 and A5 spine.
The only solution found is to place it manually, but it produce a "hole" among A1 and A5. And that is not suitable for the person who is going to tie up all together.
It is very frustrating… Thanks for every help and hint you can gave me!

Attachments

• photo7214.png
    photo7214.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 403
i've come across similar oddities in the past. one way you might do this is within a 'web-press' setup. and thanks for including screen-cap with your original post, gianni.

compose your first 4pg in the "press-runs" view/tab of preps (7.1-8.0). at this stage, you can designate that 4pg setup as sstitch (saddle-stitch). directly below this interface is the "press-runs-list" (also known as 'summary-list') … which includes green(+) and red(-) icons (duplicate/delete) on a submenu-bar.

you are wanting to interact with the green-icon … but, before you do, depress the CTRL key on your keyboard … allowing you one of two options ('duplicate-as-web' & 'insert_new_web') … choose the former. once you have 'duplicated' the 4pg setup … it will appear in the press-runs-list with different style icon. down-arrow that icon … you will realize web-1 and web-2 within press-run-1. perform this sequence two more times (within press-run-1) … you should now have 'four' (4pg)-webs within press-run-1 … totaling 16 pages.

time for the collation-mark. highlight web-1 within press-run-1 … create/apply collation-mark as necessary. for sstitch, remember to utilize collation-setup for sstitch … this is done in the resources-newmark-collation-mark interface (binding drop-down field). click apply/ok and the mark is applied to only web-1. if you wish to apply that mark on one of the other webs within press-run-1 … do so using copy/paste principles.

you already have press-run-1 which contains web-1-4 (16pg total) … follow the same procedure for all ensuing press-run(s). dbl-chk the pagination within each set … proceed to making *.pjtf/*.jdf/*.ps file.

notes:
  1. you may copy/paste your first collation-mark to the new press-run-2 which contains another four webs … the collation-mark will advance it's numerical indicator. when changing binding … remember to change the binding within collation-mark configuration as well.
  2. changing bindings for press-runs is simple as highlighting "part" inside "properties" palette and changing as needed in the "properties" palette.
attached thumbnails:

Click image for larger version  Name:	work01.png Views:	1 Size:	542.4 KB ID:	272790Click image for larger version  Name:	collation-mark.png Views:	1 Size:	63.1 KB ID:	272791Click image for larger version  Name:	assem_img(gianni_s).png Views:	1 Size:	297.3 KB ID:	272792Click image for larger version  Name:	assem_img01.png Views:	1 Size:	133.5 KB ID:	272793

Hi Pnamajck,
Thanks a lot, you suggestion is very very interesting.
I will test it and I let you know.
Thanks very very very much for that precious help!

G:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back