Preps and El Capitan

Prepper

OK, nevermind, just got it fixed, required Java 6 instead of 8 apparently.

Ok, just upgraded Preps to v7.5 so I can upgrade my desktop to El Capitan now but when I start Preps I get a message saying, "To use the “java” command-line tool you need to install a JDK." and click in there for more info, went to website, downloaded and installed Java for Mac, tried again, same message, wait and then get:

The Product License Activation Server is unavailable, please try again later or contact the Response Center for assistance

Click OK

Get the Java message again

Click OK and wait

then the same Product License message again, click OK and wait

then the Preps splash screen comes up and has my name and correct license in it, then I get the message:
Preps cannot find a license. Choose a license in the Licensing Control dialog box.

Click OK, license window opens, then I click on Software License instead of what is default selected the Prinery Floating License and I get the Java message and the License Server unavailable messages again but everything is filled in correctly except "Your unique computer ID" field is empty and even if I knew what should go in there it won't allow me to enter anything in that field.

At this point I'm stuck, if I click ok it says Unique Computer Id is missing.

Anyone out there that can help with this?

This is a standalone version, no Prinergy involved, I installed v7.5 before upgrading to El Capitan and it was working fine.

Thanks

Last edited:
That is the latest version of Preps, are you sure it requires Java 6?
If so, than Preps is really out od date.

A lot of software requires the Java 6 runtime which is what Preps needed. That is not regular Java 6.

Maybe, and you are probably correct but I don't have any such software that requires Java 6 runtime and I have a lot's of the software installed. I am not developer but if software asked me to install Java 6 runtime, I would hesitate due to old version or due to perception of old version, at least to me, non-developer.

If you install a clean install of the OS you will have software prompt you for the Java 6 runtime. It just depends on which one you try to run first that needs it. Prinergy Workshop and Preps both needs it. Photoshop needs it. Illustrator needs it. HP Printers also need it. And there are others as well. Yeah the developers should stop requiring it but it isn't just Kodak.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back