Pricing question

TMPDave

Why would photopolymer plates for direct print to corrugated be more expensive than litho/offset plates?

"I'm not really a printer, I just play one on TV."

Why would photopolymer plates for direct print to corrugated be more expensive than litho/offset plates?

"I'm not really a printer, I just play one on TV."

Different printing process: Flexo vs offset. Flexo plates are MUCH more expensive, costing printers in the range of $0.10-0.35 (or more) per square INCH just for the raw plate. Offset plates are an order of magnitude cheaper. Flexo plates also take a lot more time to make, adding to the cost.

Flexo plates are expensive for many reasons, but the easiest explanation is that each plate simply contains a LOT more material, and that material isn't cheap. An offset plate is just 0.3mm of aluminum with about 1 gram of custom engineered polymer (the expensive bit) per square meter on top. Flexo plates are a thin Mylar sheet with 1-6mm of custom engineered polymer on top... Pounds per square meter.

Corrugated cardboard is too delicate to print with offset, where it would be crushed in the press - unless you preprint on plain paper then laminate that to the cardboard. Because its so sensitive, corrugated usually uses the thickest plates too, making the cost at the high end of the range above.

Last edited:
It's the materials and the labor involved. An offset plate is basically a piece of metal with some emulsion on it. Depending on the size, you can make one in 5-10 minutes.

A photopolymer plate has to have a negative made, the polymer poured, the front and back exposed, the plate washed, dried, then put through the salt. Then it has to be cut down and mounted. Takes 1-2 hours.

Here are some videos to watch if you are unfamiliar with the process of making photopolymer plates: Flexo TV - Anderson & Vreeland

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back