Print run troubles, that has an influence on the finishing process

Sterndorff

I am a student at The Graphic Arts Institute of Denmark, working on my final project. In cooperation with a Danish finisher, I am writing about what troubles and consequences the finisher face, when the print runs received does not meet up with the demands for a satisfactory binding process.

The troubles, I have noted, has to do with smudging, due to un-dry print, or lack of varnish, and with lack of trimmings.

These issues result in send-backs of print runs, either to be completely redone, or additionally processed, i.e. with varnish. In other cases delay, if the print runs need time to dry.

I am interested in learning if the debaters of PrintPlanet, have similar experiences, with print run problems that delay production or has an impact on the quality. Of what kind, and how are they usually handled? Additionally, I would like to hear from persons who have needed to involve legal aid, because of a dispute as a result of this matter.

I gladly invite non-finishers to join in, as it is interesting to hear both sides of the story.

All I can say is welcome to printing. Every day is a crap shoot as to how a piece is going to dry, what it will look like when it dries or maybe even will it ever dry. Problems in most cases start with bad artwork from the customers. Or a customer trying to do something that should not be done like roll folding 130 lb cover, 2x hits on uncoated, Metallics on uncoated trying to simulate foil stamping. I would not be so hard on your press operator. They get faced with things they dont feel comfortable doing but still do it because they are told to. In this business we see new things all the time. We attempt to make the best decisions on what experience we have and sometimes it is not the correct one. You buy a product that you are told will work for your application and it fails you are the one to blame. Most times things go right and everyone is the hero but there are times where you get burned and you have to get over it and face the next challenge.

This is the reason most printers quote and produce on a contigency of + or - 10% and want to be told up front if it is not acceptable.
Variables abound wether dealinging with toner based or wet based printing. every operation is done within a tolorance and sometimes the tolorances conflict now throw in equipment, We all wish that it stayed exactly like new , but wear changes things, then enviroment, 3% shift in humidity can cause paper to shrink or stretch, ink to delay drying or static to increase. Now its off to the finisher. I know my pressman hand counted all 200m sheets before they left. after all I gave him 200m + 10 sheets to run the job

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back