Printing LEN files to a Kodak Approval

christod

As we are avid users of Samba dots we like to use LEN files to proof our work on the Approval, rather than just printing over the PackEdge file via a Ticket. The LEN file approach skips any DGC on the way to the Kodak and therefore the Samba dots are displayed very accurately on the Kodak.

This has been a very successful process until the last few months (since upgrade to Suite12.1?). Instead of a beautifully accurate proof we get a series of lines best described as "wrapping paper". If I plot this very same file to my Epson printer it prints just fine (and has a nice dot. Not bad for an Epson, but I digress.)

I believe that even though they shouldn't be, the LEN files are "re-ripped" on their way to the Kodak and this causes the wrapping paper. I believe this because I can "re-create" the wrapping paper look by re-ripping my LEN files with a distortion parameter in my Job Set-up. The resulting LEN files look just like my wrapping paper Kodak proof. Kill the parameter and re-ripping produce perfect new LEN files.

We have tried several ways to create a file for the LEN files: a Wrapper encompassing all the LEN files; an actual PackEdge file in which the LEN files have been "placed inside" and set to overprint. Both these methods have worked in the past but do not anymore.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Can you convert or output to TIFF instead of LEN? Same results?

Additionally to thee forums, also make use of your support contract and talk to Kodak and or search the Knowledge Base and other support documents at the Kodak Partner Place website.

Stephen Marsh

Hi Christod,
I believe this is a known issue and that Esko has a hotfix to the FlexRip available to solve it. Please check with your Esko customer support representative.
Regards,
David

Can you convert or output to TIFF instead of LEN? Same results?

"or search the Knowledge Base and other support documents at the Kodak Partner Place website."

Stephen Marsh

There is also the Esko Knowledge Base available at Esko Help Center (link to KB on the top of page). Check out the other resources available on that site as well.
The link on that page to "my software" will take you to a site with all the HotFixes available, for which you may search based on product.

Last edited:
Thanks top all who replied.

We found that "embedding' the LEN files in the PackEdge file, via the Links Pallete, solved the problem.

This is a new issue brought about by something in the Automation Engine 12.1 upgrade. This workflow was fine under AE 10.1.1: no need to embed.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back