Printing on polyart synthetic paper

JesseConant

Hi all,
I am running this on a 6/c heidelburg.
My concerns are about drying as it is a pretty good load of ink. There are a lot of builds and that is where I think the trouble will come from. I am using my standard inks as by my ink suppliers advice with grafo drier added but I fell there is better on the market.
The job looks good and the synthetic paper lays flat as a board but as said before alot of ink is going down for this type of product.
I am racking in packs of 3oo and powder is at max, I have not seen any offset except on bottom few sheets from the delivery rack. Any feed back appreciated.

Last edited:
Number one question and we can than go exacting> What is the VOC level of each ink being printed?

It better not be over 5% and best be under 2%.

Polyart + Heavy Coverage= MONSTER!

D

We run this all the time as well as Yupo. VanSon ToughTex inks and C & A Aq coatings. Zero solvent fountain solution (Tower Millennium 7000) with 10% IPA. Request coatings that are formulated for synthetics, they dry rock hard and they are gas permeable, so the ink continues to dry under the coating. We haven't had a job go belly up since using this procedure.

When ever we run synthetic stocks we normally use fully oxidizing ink specifically made for synthetics. Even then its a pain in the bum.
Our normal jobs are run with toyo hyplus 100 which is low voc but I haven't dared printing a job on synthetic with it yet & don't think I ever will as the glycols in the fountain solution will most likely bring the whole process undone and may not dry

Van Son Tough Tex and TOYO Hyplus are both certainly applicable for Polyart. Of the two, the Van Son is much more aggresive for drying, but certainly not an everyday ink. The TOYO can be an everyday ink.

Don't go to lunch on the ToughTex without a thorough wash up or you'll spend time elbowing the ink off its contact parts. The CWO is unforgivimg and can lock you up, just as it does on the difficult substrates.

D

Van Son Tough Tex and TOYO Hyplus are both certainly applicable for Polyart. Of the two, the Van Son is much more aggresive for drying, but certainly not an everyday ink. The TOYO can be an everyday ink.

Don't go to lunch on the ToughTex without a thorough wash up or you'll spend time elbowing the ink off its contact parts. The CWO is unforgivimg and can lock you up, just as it does on the difficult substrates.

D

D Ink man, your a brave man for saying hyplus is applicable for synthetic stocks. I haven't even been able to get toyo to say hyplus is applicable for laser overprint compared to a specific laser ink.
Perhaps the hyplus is applicable for synthetic stocks, but its success will surely be depended on the fountain solution, will it not? A fountain solution loaded with glycols will render it useless.

You need a bit more patience with Hyplus for synthetics, but laser application should also work. Many suppliers of the TOYO products are not inkmen and do not understand the intriticate nature of what they are selling can do. Even TOYO reps may hedge because they know that the offset process is one that contains countless variables and they are in fear of getting pinned for a claim, 'because the ink didn't dry'. The fact that the ink didn't dry may be an entirely different reason than what the inks part played in the job. And as you say, the glycols perhaps that are contained in the fount can inhibit ink drying. It is best to check with your etch/sub supplier to ensure that your chemistry is applicable, like the ink for synthetic stocks. It is not nearly as important as the inks chemistry, but it is a contributor to the total package when you are seeking successful drying.

I stick with what I said in my previous post about Tough Tex and Hyplus having application. Thank you Lukew for your important points on fount also.

D

nothing like success on a challenging job. makes you wanna run to work the next morning. i still do however feel that the odds are stacked against us when we print that occasional job on these stocks with conventional offset. after doing a good number of these jobs on a conventional machine my feelings are that you dodged the bullet on this one. if you continue with the occasional job it will only be a matter of time before disaster strikes. i think the main reason for this is that synthetic stocks like that come delivered with too many variables. you can minimize them a bit by being sure that the stock has a recent corona treatment and that you dyne test the stock for printability.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back