Proofing for Shrink Sleeves

Scoop

Hello,

I work for a company that has an in-house marketing and creative department. We have a number of products that require shrink sleeves and we produce mock ups of these for various reasons. We outsource our proofs to this point, but we are looking to bring this in house. We require a proofing method that will allow us to do the following:

-Print process colors on shrink sleeve material, spot colors are used for the final print, but not required for the proofs
-Print on clear material and print white

What are some option for us? Are these options ones that could be implemented in a creative environment, meaning, would one need weeks/months/years of training to use this solution? I manage the creative systems, so I am looking for an option that can deployed and supported.

Thanks for your help!

-Print process colors on shrink sleeve material, spot colors are used for the final print, but not required for the proofs
-Print on clear material and print white

AND, you want it simple enough a monkey can run it? Oy!

Kodak's Approval system can achieve the task (Artpro can handle the shrink sleeves, too). Those 'other issues' however might pose a wee bit of a problem for you.

- Mac

The problem with using a Kodak Approval is the transfer from the carrier to the shrink sleeve material via a laminator. The heat shrinks the material.

Does anyone know of a inkjet printer that uses a white ink to print on a clear material?

Poster didn't say it needed to go on shrink material, just clear stock. There's a few inkjet options, or the KA's. Need white? You're left w/ KA's, far as I know.

- Mac

I saw this at the show. I understood that the substrates would be limited to those compatible with the device itself, and I would be surprised to learn of a "shrink-sleeve" substrate that's compatible. ?Never the less, I certainly welcome this product. However, I did see a Mimaki with opaque white that can print on damn near anything, including shrink sleeves.

As far as advice to the original poster, I'd keep on outsourcing. There could be new developments in the not too distant future that result in an affordable, easy to use/maintain solution that does what you require, but I think you'll be a bit disappointed in the amount of investment of cash, time and knowledge it takes to develop an efficient proofing system of this caliber.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back