Proofing Shrink Film

Bill W

Anyone have a solution to proof shrink film including white ink? Epson 7900WT maybe, or?

Shrink film proofing on Epson WT7900

Shrink film proofing on Epson WT7900

Ive profiled Shrink film on the Epson WT7900 using ErgoSoft PosterPrint14 RIP. You just need to make sure that you put white ink down behind all the patches, and disregard the white ink in the density calculations. Peel off the flilm backing (especially if its coloured) and read the patches on a white background - preferably ISO standard

Last edited:
Consider one of the UV inkjet devices from Roland or Mimaki. The output is more durable and you can get the opacity you need in the white.

(disclaimer, I work for a Kodak, CGS and Roland DG dealer. We also sell Epson's including WT7900, I am not sure if one can compare the results in an Apples to Apples way).

Stephen Marsh[/QUOTE]

Thanks Stephen. We placed a CGS driven 7900 in one of our locations when it come on the market. At that time we debated the 7900WT, but others decided to not get the WT because of decreased gamut. Have you found this a problem?

I have been very interested in the CGS Roland matchup since I saw it at the last USA Label Expo. Do you use this setup for shrink now? If so how is it working for you and can you shrink the proof accurately?

Thanks again.

Thanks Stephen. We placed a CGS driven 7900 in one of our locations when it come on the market. At that time we debated the 7900WT, but others decided to not get the WT because of decreased gamut. Have you found this a problem?

I don't use our demo machine very often due to the high consumable cost of the white ink and the high use of the cheaper cleaning fluid. Sales demos are not that common, those that have a need either have one or use a Roland.

The WT7900 white ink prints require gentle handling, they are easy to scratch.

As for gamut, on photo paper, the WT is very close to the x900 series, in places it is smaller, it all depends. On clear film compared to paper, the gamut can be slightly larger.

It still has the OG inks, it is just a little bit grainy compared to a regular x900 print due to not having the lighter black inks.

I have been very interested in the CGS Roland matchup since I saw it at the last USA Label Expo. Do you use this setup for shrink now? If so how is it working for you and can you shrink the proof accurately?

Thanks again.

I have not heard complaints from prospective customers that did trials. I personally have not done trials with shrinking.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
(disclaimer-my company offers products, systems and services for producing Package Prototypes)
We have a shrink sleeve product we have specifically manufactured to be compatible with eco-solvent printers such as those manufactured by Mimaki, Roland and now Epson. These printers can be set up with white and silver in addition to the familiar inksets.
Shrink Film Prototype

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back