Quark 6.5 & MAC OSX 10.5

ripit

We had our macs upgraded to OSX 10.5.6. now when we double click on a Quark document it automatically creates a copy and does not open the quark file. Anyone else seem this?

this happens alot with us.. Don't know why this happens. I would like a solution also but heres what we have to do.. Instead of doubleclicking the file. drag file into Quark icon on your dock..

yep.. another thing that I personally do is right click and select open.. I have searched for the answer but to no avail. I hope someones chimes in and point us to the right direction.

Quark 6 is not completely compatible with Leopard (10.5.x).
Quark will always save documents as a stationary pad; if you doubleclick this files, you will create a new copy of it.

There is no solution from Quark (or anyone else for that matter) other than to open the information window for that file (command+i) and take the checkmark off in front of "stationary pad". (Every "save" from Quark after that sets the checkmark again, so ... have fun clicking it off again ;))
Or upgrade to Quark 7.3 or later which is compatible and tested for Leopard.
Or downgrade to Tiger (10.4.11).

Thanks Toronar

Makes sense. I don't think we will be upgrading to 7 anytime soon but this is good to know.

Quark 6 doesn't work well in 10.5

Quark 6 doesn't work well in 10.5

Take a look at the Quark forums for lots of complaints about this. In addition to the already mentioned issue:

- often won't save a file successfully --- need to do a file Save as / export to a version 5 file to get a non-corrupt save

- can't use OpenType fonts and spuriously reports them as corrupt (this despite Quark having bundled 20 OpenType fonts from Linotype as a registration promotion w/ Quark XPress 6)

- crashes even more frequently than in 10.4

William

That's a strange deal. We haven't seen that particular issue, but have our own headaches with Quark 6.5 and 10.5 (but only on Intel machines.) We create a PostScript file out of Quark to distill into a PDF, and on certain jobs with old Type 1 fonts Distiller will give a weird PostScript error. If we take the same .ps file and run it through Distiller on an Intel machine running 10.4 or a G4 running 10.5 it goes through with no errors. And if the .ps file is created on any machine that isn't running 10.5 on an Intel chip it works fine. If those same problem files are run through Quark 7 or 8 installed on the 10.5 Intel machines, there's no problem.

I have too little hair left to be messing with this much more!

We have encountered this problem when we upgraded to Leopard as well. Our solution was to get a copy of JoJo 1.09 from JoLauterbach Software for all of our workstations. You just drag your Quark or InDesign files onto it and JoJo recognizes the version of Quark or InDesign that is needed. It takes a lot of guess work out of deciding which InDesign app to use. It has worked great for us, I highly recommend it.

well @bean66. Well, this would be no different from what we are doing now.. we drag the quark file into the quark icon on dock.. with JoJo, you drag file into JoJo icon.. no big help there.

But thanks for the info on how you do things

well @bean66. Well, this would be no different from what we are doing now.. we drag the quark file into the quark icon on dock.. with JoJo, you drag file into JoJo icon.. no big help there.

But thanks for the info on how you do things

JoJo is an App that identifies the Quark or InDesign version needed for the file you are opening rather than trying to open a Quark 7 file in 6.5 or saving up to a higher version.

Okay.. that would be useful if you have several versions of quark or/and ID.. We only have one version.

We experienced this.... The solution for it was to upgrade to Quark 7.... Although we are now on 8....

Trust me upgrade to Quark 8 - its Heaven....

Pete

Pete-

Can you define heaven? I haven't felt like Quark and heaven go together for some time. Have they remedied the transparency issues? More information please?

In the original question, I have experienced in some instances, double clicking an InDesign file, will create a copy. But not in all cases.. and in some cases, double clicking an quark file doesn't create a copy.. So I believe this problem is not a Quark problem but it may be 10.5. problem.. Somebody said its because Quark 6.5 is not a native app.. That isn't true

"Trust me upgrade to Quark 8 - its Heaven...."
If Quark 8 is heaven, we may as well all go to hell, when we die!
At least in hell, you know what to expect.

Pete-

Can you define heaven? I haven't felt like Quark and heaven go together for some time. Have they remedied the transparency issues? More information please?

Quark 8 still has problems with placed PDFs that contain transparency, and most of the shortcomings of Quark-generated transparency-efffects of Quark 7 are still there. Oh and no live-transparency in exported PDFs yet. Maybe in Quark 8.x or 9.

I was thinking that's where we were, for the most part. Just had a customer upgrade their system to OSX 10.5.6, using Quark 6.5, and he is noticing some PDF creation issues. He figured out a workaround. He only uses them for "hardcopy" not to print anything important. He sends us his native files. So far Quark is not giving him alot of problems on the new platform, and when I was asked about upgrading, I told him if Quark 6.5 is working for you, just stick with it for now.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Zinn

We have recently upgraded to Mac osX 10.5.6 & I am experiencing lots of issues with Quark 6.52. The main problems have already been discussed but I also have problems with the step & repeat function it just comes up as a grey box & crashes Quark.

Any ideas?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back