Question: Setting MBO Rollers

ColorMonkey

So not for setting up jobs, more so the calibrating of them. I have heard two different ways of doing this.

First method is one strip of paper across all roller gap settings and then with one strip of same paper 2-3" wide, set the roller until you feel a slight tug.

Second method is with roller 1 one thickness of paper, but then when you go to do roller 2 you put one thickness in 2 and then three sheets (or a piece of chip) in 1 and 3 gap setting.

Then when you go to roller 3 you put one thickness the gap setting but 2 and 4 have three sheets (or a piece of chip) in the gap setting.

And so on.

Which method do you use?

Pretty much method 2. Gap the rollers for the thickness that will travel through them. It takes awhile to get just right.

So I thought so that is the method I was taught by an old MBO tech years ago. It just has been mentioned through the years that First Method one is the correct way. Just trying to gauge which one people practice and why one is better than the other.

Thanks for the response though appreciate it.

Setting the rollers and calibrating the rollers are two different things. To calibrate the rollers you set them with the amount of sheets that will be running through that unit/roller set. I've "set" rollers with one sheet, only to find they where way off when 4 or 8 sheets went through. Also the spring tension on the roller is often overlooked. The roller must "return" to it's position smoothly.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back