Real email from real designer

margadri

What would you answer?

I just wanted to check on this whether the print will bleed to the edge?
I have attached the report and noticed that the only pages that really need bleed would be the covers, and we don’t have this document with bleed and crop marks.
Would it reduce the cost if it doesn’t bleed to the edge?

What would you answer?

I just wanted to check on this whether the print will bleed to the edge?
I have attached the report and noticed that the only pages that really need bleed would be the covers, and we don’t have this document with bleed and crop marks.
Would it reduce the cost if it doesn’t bleed to the edge?

If the job doesn't bleed then we might be able to run a smaller sheet size which may in turn reduce the printing cost. Can we take a closer look at your project and maybe suggest other ways you might reduce the cost - if cost is a major concern on your project.

Gordo

Depending on the complexity of the design, if it is possible and if you wish for us to add bleed to the job then this will require extra studio time, which in turn will increase the "print ready" quoted price.

Depending on the design, we may be able to trim the cover and text pages smaller, in effect creating bleed by reducing the final trim size of the job. Alternatively, we can slightly enlarge the job and trim back to true final size.

Another option is for the job to print at the required size with a 3-5mm white "print free" margin on the bleed edges. Depending on the complexity of the design, this may also require minimal extra studio time over and above the quoted price. Do you also wish for the same print free treatment to be given to the spine (presuming saddle stitch binding)? Can we take a closer look at your project to advise you on these and perhaps other production concerns?

Would you prefer to re-supply the cover as revised "print ready" art with these issues corrected?

P.S. We will throw in the trim marks for free!

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back