Recent quote on Iridesse?

PrintingGirl1013

Anyone get a recent proposal on a Xerox Iridesse lately? Machine with std high capacity trays (not vacuum feed), 5th and 6th color station, GBC punch, in-line booklet maker and square bind - 4,800/mo for 60 month $1 buy out, .03 color click, 6% cap increase for first 5 years. We are located in the northeast.

the 5th and 6th station in 99.99 percent of people is a waste of money
My husband and I have been discussing this and I've been saying the same - that we get only CMYK version since we don't have a demand for the specialty colors but he thinks if you are going with that machine then you might as well have the 5th and 6th colors and do your best to sell it and add value.

Have you heard of anyone able to mimic thermography (raised print) with multiple passes on the Iridesse with the clear or other ink?

My husband and I have been discussing this and I've been saying the same - that we get only CMYK version since we don't have a demand for the specialty colors but he thinks if you are going with that machine then you might as well have the 5th and 6th colors and do your best to sell it and add value.

Have you heard of anyone able to mimic thermography (raised print) with multiple passes on the Iridesse with the clear or other ink?
I've seen that done on the Xerox 1000, which is admittedly the predecessor to the Iridesse.

it did with the clear ink I believe on the 1000 because people complained that the clear is basically useless with one pass
I wouldnt say its the same as thermography

I've seen first hand mutli pass prints off the iridesse and it's exactly like thermo heat raised.

You should be able to request a sample book like this.

Last edited:
I would try and get fixed click rates for the life of the contract and also negotiate the click rates after that if possible, but this is Xerox we are talking about, they will just up your base charge to hide it there.

What % is your interest rate on the lease?

I would try and get fixed click rates for the life of the contract and also negotiate the click rates after that if possible, but this is Xerox we are talking about, they will just up your base charge to hide it there.

What % is your interest rate on the lease?
I did ask for a fixed click charge and they said basically that, that it will increase the click charge so I plan to ask for a 3% cap instead of 6 and see if that goes anywhere. We are waiting for final numbers later this week after they check credit so we will ask the outright purchase price to see what the interest rate is. If you’ve ever leased, I assume it makes sense to check rates with other leasing companies?

I did ask for a fixed click charge and they said basically that, that it will increase the click charge so I plan to ask for a 3% cap instead of 6 and see if that goes anywhere. We are waiting for final numbers later this week after they check credit so we will ask the outright purchase price to see what the interest rate is. If you’ve ever leased, I assume it makes sense to check rates with other leasing companies?

Check and recheck everything. Also make sure a $1 buyout is best for you, it sounds good but isn't for every company. I would also be pricing out a machine with Ricoh/KM/Canon to keep Xerox on their toes.

Also think about if you really want that booklet maker inline and attached to the machine lease.

That's good to know. We sub out a decent amount of thermo stationery, envelopes, bus cards, announcement cards. The ability to do that in house would be a nice bonus.
If you think the multi pass clear will substitute thermo you will be disappointed. It never registers 100% and you can barley feel the difference. The techs will not support multi pass registration issues either. Oh, and don't forget about background toning with multipass.

Now that being said we run the crap out of gold silver and clear. If you don't actively sell it then don't get it.

If you think the multi pass clear will substitute thermo you will be disappointed. It never registers 100% and you can barley feel the difference. The techs will not support multi pass registration issues either. Oh, and don't forget about background toning with multipass.

Now that being said we run the crap out of gold silver and clear. If you don't actively sell it then don't get it.
I had them run a sample business card today with "thermography" and you are correct - it left a lot to be desired. I really am impressed with the silver and gold though - really looks metallic / shimmery. We saw a sample using clear and I wasn't blown away, maybe because it was done on a coated stock and I felt like you could hardly tell it was there. What have you found to be the best use of clear?

Check and recheck everything. Also make sure a $1 buyout is best for you, it sounds good but isn't for every company. I would also be pricing out a machine with Ricoh/KM/Canon to keep Xerox on their toes.

Also think about if you really want that booklet maker inline and attached to the machine lease.
So we did consider skipping the booklet maker / square fold but it looks to only be adding roughly $100 / mo. on the lease which is about $6k so we think its worth it.

So we did consider skipping the booklet maker / square fold but it looks to only be adding roughly $100 / mo. on the lease which is about $6k so we think its worth it.

That sounds way to cheap for a booklet maker/square fold unit, but again I am not a Xerox user. Did you have them quote without it?

I don't know if Xerox offers this but, when we bought our machines at a previous job we got 10% fixed buyouts. It gave us the tax benefits of a $1 buyout at the time (2008 ish). We had a fixed amount at the end of the lease that we could either pay off or refi for an extra year if we liked the machine.

Anyone get a recent proposal on a Xerox Iridesse lately? Machine with std high capacity trays (not vacuum feed), 5th and 6th color station, GBC punch, in-line booklet maker and square bind - 4,800/mo for 60 month $1 buy out, .03 color click, 6% cap increase for first 5 years. We are located in the northeast.
We are also in the Northeast and I am still waiting for our Iridesse proposal for some strange reason. Running a 1000i now and it's getting tired and we are no longer able to update the Fiery since they tell me the 1000i does not run on the new Windows version. Xerox is pushing the iGen5 hard which is a definite No.

That sounds way to cheap for a booklet maker/square fold unit, but again I am not a Xerox user. Did you have them quote without it?
Xerox can show the finishing as only an extra $100 because they have plenty of profit in the engine and rip. Plus if the finishers are Xerox they're very cost effective because the Iridesse will use the same production ready finisher as the Versant 280 I have and also all the other Versants. If the Iridesse has just the friction feeders it also uses the same high capacity feeders back to the Versant 80.

I’ve seen a growing number of users here reflecting on the current supply chain issues and the permanence of some of these same issues. I would be extremely cautious if one press was my sole means of the majority of my work. I can say this from experience because I have just one Versant 280 and the defective toner and drum issue has caused a great deal of stress. As others have stated having 2 presses from 2 vendors eliminates some of the issues that may arise with one vendor. Plus it keeps both vendors on their toes.

Ask your Xerox sales rep for some assurance that if a global supply chain issue causes your press to be down that you’re not obligated to make that $6,000 monthly payment. Once the rep assures you, then have him place it in the lease contract. Since they will never do that, ask them to amend the service contract to credit you for down time with future click credits that amount to your daily lease expense. Xerox has a great total satisfaction guarantee but it doesn’t mean too much if it’s going to take 3 or 4 months to get you a replacement.

Every vendor is going to have similar lease/service contracts and the one thing they all have in common is that if something goes wrong they’ll still get paid. Best of luck on your purchase!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back