Recomend replacement for DC250

gibbyni

Hi

We currently have a DC250 4 years old 300,000 ish prints. We make wedding stationery and mainly print SRA3 350gsm coated paper. Were currently doing around 4000 prints a month. We have a pro finisher at the minute but now its not used, so all we need is a printer with no fancy finishing.

Anyone any recomendations? We would like to stay with Xerox as I like there service agreements.

The important thing for us is the print quality on the 350 gsm card, speed paper tray size duplex etc are not important. This machine is used to print our cards nothing else.

Based on your monthly volume and your loyalty to Zerox, I would recommend the new Xerox Color 550/560. I can not make any comments about the quality and performance of this machine as I've never used it. You will find plenty of discussions about this printer on this forum .

do you not have any problems printing on 250gsm? or perhaps you change out your fusers more regularly? if you only have 300K on the machine run it till it has 1.3 on it then look at another machine.

I went from a Xerox DC240 to a Konica C5501. The speed between both the machines and their faster siblings (250/6501) isn't much when printing on thicker stocks and SRA3 which I mainly use.

The KM C5501 is a far far more sellable print than the Xerox, on the right stock it looks really similar to litho and it can Duplex up to 250gsm. We actually have a 300gsm silk that duplexes reliably.

You should be able to get a C5501 really cheap now, you could go for a reconditioned one so long as you get it on a service contract at the right click charge. It really does blow the Xerox out of the water, front to back reg is better and the machine is built like a tank, it's a way more serious piece of kit. I chose it over a Xerox 700 and am very glad I did.

I have the same question: Qhy are you looking for a replacement? 300k clicks its not a lot on that machine. If you are happy with the 250, stay with it until you put a million clicks on it.

We have a 252 with almost 850k clicks and still working fine for us. I dont think you need to upgrade if you are happy with it.

need advice

need advice

Dear Friends
This is the first time for me with digital printing and I want buy Xerox printer but in my country we don't have a Xerox agent or services I must depind on my self to fix the problems so if any one can tell me which Zerox is stable with good quality
Thanks

hello
if you are going to keep the 250 you still need the professional finisher for decurling the card coming out of the machine i had to get one as the machine was terrible on 300 or 350 gsm
i even moved away from xerox own brand card and moved unto a other brand which did help
my advice is if its paid for hold on to it and give your wallet a bit of breathing space!!!!
eddie form northern ireland

Thanks for your replies.

The issues we have with the DC250 at the minute are:

1. It costs 10.5p per page print as opposed to 4.5p with the 550
2. The 550 can handle the heavier stock better apparently. At the minute we have a little trouble feeding the 350gsm through the printer. It'll print fine but you have to help feed the sheets in which is a pain.
3. The finisher gives a slight roller mark on the print. It's not bad, but we notice it and would rather it not be there!

We've been told the 550 also gives more of a matt finish to the print, which we would prefer.

Obviously it would be great not to have to fork out the money for a new printer, but the savings in the page pack alone would pay for it within a couple of years. We have seen a slight deterioration in the print quality - obviously it's 4 years old now - and like the idea of a better print. We're going up to view the machine in action next week so will have a better idea. Sales people could obviously be telling us what we want to hear!

Thanks!

Hi,

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the 550/560 as I'm not getting much response from Xerox regarding their machines...funny, you'd think they wanted to sell them?

Altough it appears their ignoring my phone messages and emails could be a blessing in disguise as I've just experienced Konica Minolta printers and print quality. The previous comments I've read about a 'matt finish toner' are true, but there's a "gloss" option that puts out an incredible gloss finish and you can get gloss levels inbetween. This means it's perfect for matt/silk finishes as well as glossy flyers. The build quality is obviously going to be superior to the DC250/252 as it costs a heck of a lot more.

I would like to hear your opinion of the 550/560 though, as I'm still between the two if someone can tell me how much the 550/560 costs?

Thanks,
Andrew

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back