Recommendation for VDP software

There are plenty of other options, but I would need more information to help you out.

What features are you using XMPie for, specifically? And why are you looking for an alternative? Is it a price issue, or a utility issue?

-Impression

Is there a reason you're looking to move away from XMPie? Is there something it can't do?

I've always used FusionPro with very good results, although it helps if you know some JavaScript or are willing to learn it. It's not as user-friendly as I think it could/should be, but it is very powerful.

I also use HP SmartStream Designer for VDP that goes to our Indigo.

It mainly because of the price. We need new licenses but they are too expense. Here is what we need the software to handle:

1. It has to be a InDesign plugin (roughly 90% of the artwork is done in InDesign)
2. Have PDF, PostScript and VPS output
3. Be able to handle imposition
4. Be able to handle layers and their visibility (Turning them on and off based on the data)
5. Rule creation for the variable elements
6. Be able to handle variable images (This is not personalized images!)
7.Be able to handle Tagged/styled text.

FusionPro can do all of those things, except for #4 - not sure about that one. It very well might do that, I've just never needed it.

It does have a plugin for InDesign, but all the heavy lifting is done in PDF so you could set up your page in ID, define which text and/or picture boxes contain variable data, then export to PDF where you link to the database and insert fields.

Here's their site:
PTI | FusionPro Desktop

Just an FYI

Just an FYI

It mainly because of the price. We need new licenses but they are too expense.

--
I'm not sure if the other applications out there create VPS or not, however using PDF's for a background image is counter productive for VPS streams. But in case you didn't know, you can install the desktop version of XMPie without a license to use the Designer (free) version to setup the InDesign files, and use the licensed version for production. This way, you only need a licensed version to print with, and can install the Designer version wherever you want it.

I love FusionPro and for the money you can't beat it. I think it is about $800. I highly recommend it.
They gave a good online training that you can take over a weekend and on Monday you will be up and running.
They also have couple of add on for Doing cool stuff like writing names using candles on a cake or stones over a lake and the font is stones or trees.

PTI | Home

Nidal Kerdiya
eDocpublish.com

Greetings,

Why don't you check out DesignMerge VDP software for InDesign and Quark.

Meadows Publishing Solutions

Pet Peeve - software packages that won't post their pricing online and instead want you to call or email for pricing. I automatically think it must be overpriced, because if it was competitively priced, you'd want to advertise that fact!

It mainly because of the price. We need new licenses but they are too expense. Here is what we need the software to handle:

1. It has to be a InDesign plugin (roughly 90% of the artwork is done in InDesign)
2. Have PDF, PostScript and VPS output
3. Be able to handle imposition
4. Be able to handle layers and their visibility (Turning them on and off based on the data)
5. Rule creation for the variable elements
6. Be able to handle variable images (This is not personalized images!)
7.Be able to handle Tagged/styled text.

actually, although roughly 90% of the artwork is done in InDesign, it doesn't means you must use Indesign plug solution for variable production. You can finish artwork in ID and export to PDF as a template. afterwards you will have more solution chioce. Of course, I know you are fimiliar with ID plug operation...The short of plug solution is no strong imposition function and logic proccessing(that's your said rule creation) due to SDK limitation. This is my opinion. FYI.

FusionPro can do all of those things, except for #4 - not sure about that one. It very well might do that, I've just never needed it.

It does have a plugin for InDesign, but all the heavy lifting is done in PDF so you could set up your page in ID, define which text and/or picture boxes contain variable data, then export to PDF where you link to the database and insert fields.

Here's their site:
PTI | FusionPro Desktop

I exchange emails with the FusionPro people and in their rough quote, they indicated that I needed 3 instances of their server product to do both the high record count and the automated VDP Do I really need three instances?

Why add more operators?

Why add more operators?

The bottom line is cost. To expand our production of VDP we have to spend 15K+ for each new operator.

This is really the core of TCO around these things and why wanted to post a reply. I constantly have this discussion and fact is, that with the right tool for VDP, you can do more with the same number of persons.

The main cost is on salaries, not licenses.

If 1 person can do the work of 2 persons, simply by changing the tool, the math is easy.

Henrik

DesignMerge is priced very competitively with all of the other VDP packages that are available, plugin and standalone!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back