Reducing PDF sizes

Skinflint

We are required to send PDF's to our clients for proof. Many times the PDF size is too large to email. Problem is that when we have 16pg etc pdfs we can't get them under the 8mb limit. Any information is appreciated.

We are required to send PDF's to our clients for proof. Many times the PDF size is too large to email. Problem is that when we have 16pg etc pdfs we can't get them under the 8mb limit. Any information is appreciated.

that is why you need an FTP Site. Theres many good info on how to setup one and it doesn't have to cost a penny. The other (client) can download a free FTP Client to log in.

Personally, we use Dropbox to transfer and receive files. Theres even a way to give them a public url for them to download files Dropbox - Home - Online backup, file sync and sharing made easy.

I'm not a printer but we use Dropbox as well for not only syncing between our computers at work but also sharing large files with clients. It's a much simpler method than setting up an FTP for clients, which I'm sure has its own merits but Dropbox works great for us. It's free up to a certain amount of storage and then you pay a reasonable monthly amount if you need more.

I'm not a printer but we use Dropbox as well for not only syncing between our computers at work but also sharing large files with clients. It's a much simpler method than setting up an FTP for clients, which I'm sure has its own merits but Dropbox works great for us. It's free up to a certain amount of storage and then you pay a reasonable monthly amount if you need more.

and to add to jspenc2, we have about 8 clients that is Dropbox users. To keep the space low, we have one person (me) to drag files off. Been a user and use it for work for 11 months. Not one issue. We have about 16 computers connected thru Dropbox

Have you tried printing to .ps and Distilling vs. exporting the PDF direct from say InDesign?

I have had significant final PDF file size differences between the two methods using the exact same PDF job options settings file.

If you have Acrobat Pro, look under Advanced/Print Production/PDF Optimizer

Best,

Stephen Marsh

1) You can really stomp on the size of a PDF. With the PDF Optimizer function you can down-sample, change compression, toss extraneous code, et cetera. Another thing to reduce file size for proofing is to convert to RGB. That's a 25% savings right there. All of this requires that you make a second 'proofing' file.

2) To email the files you could try a service like sendthisfile.com or yousendit.com. Very simple.

3) You can also try creating archives of PDF's. Sometimes that'll reduce the size even more. Sometimes it'll increase it. You just have to try it.

1) You can really stomp on the size of a PDF. With the PDF Optimizer function you can down-sample, change compression, toss extraneous code, et cetera. Another thing to reduce file size for proofing is to convert to RGB. That's a 25% savings right there. All of this requires that you make a second 'proofing' file.

2) To email the files you could try a service like sendthisfile.com or yousendit.com. Very simple.

3) You can also try creating archives of PDF's. Sometimes that'll reduce the size even more. Sometimes it'll increase it. You just have to try it.

Which workflow do you use?

I need to create pdf's from our workflow files not from the native app.

just open your pdf file in acrobat and us the "Reduce File Size" function. It is in different places in the different versions of Acrobat, but it works every time for me. I have been able to send out 16pg pdf at around 3mb.

Workflow Files?

Workflow Files?

When you say "workflow files", are the resulting PDFs you are attempting to send rasterized?:confused:

I agree with Stephen, you will get a much smaller PDF if you create a postscript file and distill it using the smallest file size in distiller.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back