Replacement for Canon C1+

MarkRM

We're a small in-plant printer currently struggling with the reliability of our C1+. We love the image quality, and can live with the exceptionally slow speed, but it has been way too unreliable. At 18 months and only 120k color clicks it has been down now for two weeks. We are not getting good support under our contract.

We need to duplex coated stock (32lb Mohawk Color Copy) at sizes up to 18x12. We do not need speed -- the C1+'s 14ppm is fast enough for our purposes -- but we'd take extra speed if we didn't have to pay too much for it.

Can anyone recommend a replacement printer with image quality comparable to the C1+ (even if not quite as good), and reliability superior to it?

Thanks

Have a look at the iR ADV 9065 from canon. Image quality is fine and I know a few users that have moved from the c1 series to this series and have been happy.

service or machine issue?

service or machine issue?

my first question would be what company / dealer is servicing your c1? if it happens to be one of the dealers that lost their Canon rights because of being sold/ purchased (ie IKON, Copy Data (charlotte, triad), Traid Business systems, Danka, to name a few)

if you're c1 is being serviced by one of those entities then the issue is most likely the service provider not the unit. 120k and only 18 months old is certanly not to high for that unit. that being said the c1 is not a high volume rpoduction unit either. is is high quality graphics intensive as i am sure you know. Having sold the c1 and the new C9065/C9075 they are both great machines. they are certainly different though. depending on your color needs the c9065 might work great for you, but i have to say that i have seen a customer who is color critical sway away from that model when moving away from a c1.

canon also has the new c1+ which is built on the same engine and fram as the c1 and it adds a 5th toner (clear) for spot varnish and clear coat.

my opinion is to check into an alternate service provider that is an authorized canon dealer/service provider for your current unit first before you invest time and possibly money in a new unit.

this is coming from an admitted sales person (independant delear of Canon, Sharp, Kyocera equipment) of your level of equipment, normally i would never suggest anything other then what would turn into a new sale, but in this case specifically (canon production / graphics level) equipment i can suggest this. since the shake up in the industry 3+ years ago with the major players in the Canon world being bought by other manufacturers it is a real likelyhood that your perfectly good Canon unit is just being poorly maintained.

let me know if you need a line on an authorized dealer in your area.

Nlynde, Thanks very much for your reply. My machine is being serviced by Canon Business Solutions in Boston. The Boston office sprung up right when Ikon lost rights to sell Canon. CBS Boston is apparently short on both know-how and manpower when it comes to servicing the C1+.

If you can make any recommendations for service in the Boston area, either in this thread or in a private reply, I'd love to hear them. Thanks again.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back