RGB color to Spot

JoeatData

We have a client that wants to match a RGB value to a spot color.

I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a web site or somewhere I could find a pdf that offers a RGB to PMS equivalent?

tia

Joe J

enter the values in the photoshop color picker, then click on swatches and choose pantone, and that will give you a rough idea, not always perfect but works

I understand a RGB value isn't going to be perfect match to a spot PMS.

We have found a couple of things to use........of course both are offering a different PMS.
(probably better off ask the client which PMS they prefer)

My question/concern.......is there something I am not seeing or haven't found that is more of a standard and not of an opinion?

My question/concern.......is there something I am not seeing or haven't found that is more of a standard and not of an opinion?

The Pantone Goe color system includes RGB (sRGB actually) values for all the colors.

best, gordo

If you have a Pantone ColourBridge (coated and/or uncoated) you get sRGB, closest CMYK and Pantone and a visual on paper ;)

enter the values in the photoshop color picker, then click on swatches and choose pantone, and that will give you a rough idea, not always perfect but works

I agree with ajr. I use that method for both RGB and CMYK builds and it comes fairly close.

I found the best way open file in Adobe illustrator. Click image go to edit, edit colors, recolor artwork.
Another box opens. down at bottom small box that looks like a color chart click on that and all the color books
pop up. Select Pantone solid coated then click ok. The closest spot color will appear in your swatch pallet. Note
Not always a good match. So I would show client PMS book and let them pick the spot color they want.

>We have a client that wants to match a RGB value to a spot color.

Unfortunately you have not posted where they want to use the resulting RGB color, the wording of your question leads me to think that you're looking for an RGB result for a spot color. Either way my last suggestion will give you the best spot color choice from an RGB starting point. For example many spot colors can be out of the sRGB gamut so an accurate web representation is sometimes not really possible.

The factors to be considered before you choose a spot color to RGB conversion method are these.
1. Are you useng the resulting RGB for placement and viewing only on a display, web or presentation?
2. Are you using the resulting RGB for Digital Print?
3 Are you sending the converted RGB file for editing to other applications and if so to which ones?

The guiding parameters are the Pantone specifications which at this point are for using the LAB color space for converting spot color to RGB, unfortunately Adobe has not kept up so the Adobe conversions will not be the same as applications that support the proper Pantone process.

However if editing by others is your goal then use the application that will be used as the destination and for the most part many will use Adobe and default Illustrator tables will work. However understand that Adobe has fallen behind on compliance with Pantone specifications and Illustrators conversion of black when rasterizing is completely NON-ICC compliant.

With that said if web, presentation or digital print is your destination and more accurate conversions are your goal then I suggest using Windows Vista or Windows 7 and the WCS color engine, CorelDRAW X5 uses the current LAB specification and with a good media profile (meaning a good gray balance) has been giving me the best result in print or web. This will aslo give you the most accurate spot color from an RGB source.

Many spot colors will not convert properly to print, more convert to RGB properly and will produce a more satisfactory result in print if converted to RGB in the application then printed digitally, rather then if printed as spot from the application to the media profile.

I understand a RGB value isn't going to be perfect match to a spot PMS.

We have found a couple of things to use........of course both are offering a different PMS.
(probably better off ask the client which PMS they prefer)

Yes. Asking the client is the only reliable way. All of this RGB to spot or spot to RGB depends on which RGB colorspace you're talking about.

There is no exact color specified by an RGB specification. It only refers to the signal sent to the monitor. Different monitors will produce different results, depending on the calibration and profile. Also, any monitor is different from a printed color. So it can get you close, but if they are at all picky, give them the PMS book. For regular customers, buy them a PMS book. It saves time and confusion.

"There is no exact color specified by an RGB specification." depends on if there is an RGB space that is attatched to it. Normally no profile would mean sRGB.

I do the technique that Ajr mentions. Like he said though, it doesn’t always work. It does however do a good job at getting pretty close to it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back