RGB converts differently in InDesign and PitStop

Nivin

Not sure why I'm having so much trouble with color conversions. Think I have it - and "poof" all understanding disappears!

We are having a difference if RGB to CMYK if converted in InDesign or converted in Acrobat PitStop.

Adobe color settings - used in InDesign and Acrobat - (Photo 1)

RGB Mix in Original InDesign file R=87, G-154, B=88

InDesign converts to C=70 M=10 Y=84 K=3

PitStop is set to pick up color management from Acrobat. Acrobat is using the same color settings as InDesign synced with Bridge.

Acrobat PitStop converts to C=82.51 M=3.37 Y=86.67 K=6.89

One difference I know is InDesign uses Adobe CMM color engine. PitStop uses Little CMS. Would this make that much difference?

Last edited:
PDF has object level rendering intents which could be different from the global intent used in InDesign?

The destination values depend on the source, so if the profiles are different or assumed different in one program vs. another then that could be the reason.

The picture did not come through, so it is hard to know exactly, would need to check the settings from InDesign, Acrobat and PitStop. Usually the results of different CMM are slight when compared the the other variables in the colour management chain.

Stephen Marsh

Hi Linda

I'll follow up with you via the email you sent me, but I believe it's a configuration issue.
I don't have your Indesign settings, but if I compare the results of the conversion in PitStop and the conversion in Acrobat they are similar, I am not seeing the major differences you are experiencing.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back