RIP Software suggestions needed.

Yookaroo

After the sale of our press we hung on to a Fuji XMF workflow and used it to impose our jobs for outsourcing as well as printing proofs on our Epson. Unfortunately Fuji wants $50k for us to keep it and its way more horse power than we need so we are seeking other options.

We really need something that will allow us to send a high quality imposed pdf to our suppliers at 28 x 40". They can trap at their side, we would also like to have the ability to print colour corrected to our Epson 9900 as well, not sure if we can find this all in one or if we need a couple of solutions.

Any advice is appreciated.

Sounds like you need imposition software and a proofing RIP.

For impositionlayout:
What kind of work do you do? Flatwork only, commercial work (including books, periodicals, etc.), packaging? Do you still have bindery equipment you plan to utilize?

For the proofing RIP:
CGS-ORIS or EFI (lots of vendors license and rebadge/resell the EFI technology)

What do you mean by "Fuji wants $50k for us to keep it"? It is not your workflow? You must give it back to Fuji?

Another idea to consider...

Another idea to consider...

Unfortunately Fuji wants $50k for us to keep it and its way more horse power than we need so we are seeking other options.

That makes no sense to me, unless your company had some consumables deal where they gavce you the software as longs as you were buying plates...

We really need something that will allow us to send a high quality imposed pdf to our suppliers at 28 x 40".

You can but a copy of Quite Imposing to do that, you do not need a rip to do that...

They can trap at their side,

Which is again, why you probably do not even WANT a RIP, as it is a rare bird indeed to find some trapping application that works on RIPed files...

we would also like to have the ability to print colour corrected to our Epson 9900 as well, not sure if we can find this all in one or if we need a couple of solutions.

Do you need to accurately proof spot colors ? I think you need a proofing RIP, but if you really did want a proof with Dots, then you might do well to get a RIP from Compose Systems and some riped file proofing system like Star Proof

Compose Color Blog: With Star Proof 6 spot color matching is a breeze

Hope that helps !

For the imposition you could go with something simple like Dynagram Impo2 or Quite Imposing. I'm surprised that your vendor wouldn't rather impose the jobs himself, but that's another discussion.

For proofing, it really depends on what you're driving and what you need to do. Everybody drives the Epson 9900, so that's not a concern. You have a lot of choices, EFI, Serendipity, Colorburst, CGS, GMG, Caldera, Onyx, Mirage, ImageNest, and on and on. Do you have profiling software and a measurement device?

PM me if you want to talk more about what would fit your needs best.

Thanks Michael I will look into your suggestions, proofing wise I just need decent colour for 90% of the jobs I do as many clients either don't care or come do press approvals.

We bought the Fuji JPress 720, but after almost 2 years of working with Fuji it could never do what we bought it for. They offered us the next model with the same promises we got the first time and we didnt have the faith in Fuji to move that direction. It was uninstalled today and the XMF system has to go out with it, Fuji said we could keep it instead of paying our deposit back and valued it at $50K.

We were looking at the JPress and went with Indigo instead. Can you comment on your experience with the JPress? I like the direct method of applying the ink. No perfecting not good.

Hey Yookaroo,

You might want to look at Xitron as an option. Our systems can do everything you need. Our Sierra workflow is very similar to your current XMF but is well below 50K price tag depending on the options.

Feel free to pm me if you would like more information.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back