Rosback 203 for Newspaper?

I think the max sigature size is like 12long x 15wide. so as long as you have a long flap on one side it should work. also I assume this would be folded 8pages to make it like a 16 pg signature. so it should sit in the pocket nicely. the big thing would be the tollerance on the fold. if the size varies more the .125inch then you might have issues of multiple signatures falling past the front springs. could still work just slower like 3000/hr or less.

If you are asking because you are thinking of buying one, DON'T! I have one with a 4 pocket feeder and three knife trimmer. The feeder is a real low end saddle gatherer. I would not attempt newsprint on it. There are super serious marking problems at the inserter because of the low, low tech way it inserts each signature into the next. The lead edge of the signature that is on the "flight rod" rubs against the insides of the next one receiving the insert. There is absolutely no way to avoid this. This is inherent in the design.

I can't even be motivated enough to explain the shortcomings of this design approach to the gathering function. I've had this machine since the mid 70's and I use it very little due to the marking problems. If you have an opportunity to see one working, watch how the outer spine of the signature being carried by the flight rod rubs against the insides of the receiving signature.

Note that no other manufacturer of saddle gathering machinery uses this approach. Sorry to rain on your parade. If you are still interested in pursuing it, you are welcome to visit my shop.

Al

Last edited:
Thanks friends,
a competitor closed doors a few years back... he threw in the rosback when I bought his 25" 2 color. I used it a few times, but none of the kids here could run it without lotsa waste- so I sold the trimmer for $4000 last year, and put the rest of it up on the pallet rack.
Now we have an opportunity to do a short run 16 pp newspaper, but with a lot more cmyk than our suburban can do in one pass. Just asking around to see if it would be worth my time to try and set it up, or just hand insert. cheers, Don

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back