ryobi 3302 dripping ink

chevironjr

I recently took a part time position on a Ryobi 3302. This particular press slings big globs of ink onto the plate and blanket when it stops. I have never run into this, has anyone else, and if so how do you stop it?

Are the globs of ink on the ends of the plate/blankets. Could be too much ink coming out of the ends of the ink fountain which is not being taken away by the sheet. Could be overemulsified ink/water building up on the outsides of the plates. Could be leaking ink fountains. Maybe something scraping ink from the rollers and its building up on a bar or something. Lots of maybes and lots to check

When we have ink "dripping" from our 3302 it has been because of ink buildup on the frames crossbars which run from 1 side frame to the other and are right up next to the rollers. You normally need to remove the rollers to get to them. We normally need to clean the bars off once a year. We remove the rollers and that gives us access to the cross bars, then we use shop rags and blanket wash to clean the ink off. Sometimes we will start by using an ink knife if the globs of ink are real thick and dry. We have 3- 3302 presses and they ALL do it, but once clean they will run drip free for a year or more.

When we have ink "dripping" from our 3302 it has been because of ink buildup on the frames crossbars which run from 1 side frame to the other and are right up next to the rollers. You normally need to remove the rollers to get to them. We normally need to clean the bars off once a year. We remove the rollers and that gives us access to the cross bars, then we use shop rags and blanket wash to clean the ink off. Sometimes we will start by using an ink knife if the globs of ink are real thick and dry. We have 3- 3302 presses and they ALL do it, but once clean they will run drip free for a year or more.

This seems like normal maintenance, with the design and cross bars on the 3302 Midwesternprinter.

It sounds like chevironjr is experiencing this slinging problem more frequently, but I will say that cleaning the cross bars might be the first action item to try to see what happens.

Hopefully the shop is overall well maintained. Don't know.

D

Although a great machine, that is a common problem. I've seen it happen on many 3302's. I clean my crossbars every couple of months. If you just wipe them off it will re-occur sooner. Really need to scrape the area of the bar clean to stop from happening again too soon. If after scraping you "polish" with a piece of emery cloth so it is smooth you will have the best results. (just be sure to put some newspaper or something below to catch the crud or it will wind up in the ink train.)

The globs are all over, not just the ends. I believe the reply regarding the crossbars is the answer. Thank you for your time!

In my experience the older the rollers, the more common the problem. When I get new rollers, it could be over a year before the crossbars build up. A second machine in my shop had to be cleaned constantly.

It's all about.....

D U R O M E T E R

The harder it is, the less there is to penetrate. Quite contrary to other ways of thinking.

D

It is more about the amount of press wash used. Too much wash and the ink slings off the rollers before it can get to the clean up trays. When ever I had down time I would pull all the rollers and clean the crossbars and the roller ends. The best time to do this is when you are going to run a large text run. Hickeys will be a problem for a couple of days after the cleaning

It’s buildup on the night latch bars. I found that by not putting rollers on night latch helps. I also don’t run the press as fast as before.

Are you running weakly pigmented inks that require you to run a thick ink film? Thick ink films will cause an unstable emulsion that will result in "misting". This misting will make a mess in short order and cause buildup on the bars you mention. Even with strong inks it could get to the point of misting if you try to force too much ink. These ryobi type presses are often run in shops that do a lot of black ink on uncoated stock. If your trying to push so much ink on an uncoated sheet as the make your type look really dense black then I would say that your press getting dirty all over your support bars are the least of your problems.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back