Ryobi 3302 newbie questions

robbg439

Just finished installing a Ryobi 3302m with crestlines (altra) in my small shop, where I had previously been running a hamada one-color duplicator. There are a lot of things about this press that are alien to me, and these are the (probably dumb) questions I have that aren't addressed in the service or operation manual.

At the end of the day, do you just leave the rollers (both ink and damp) under pressure? On my old press, the upper oscillator roller had a hanger to raise it away from the idle rollers to relieve the pressure. On the ryobi, there's night latches for the form rollers, but everything is locked into place by those little swinging hangers. I just invested in a complete set of new rollers for this press, so I want to make them last.

Which leads to to my second question- the service manual lists proper nip widths for the distributor rollers, but how in the heck do you measure the nips?

Also, the rollers on the crestline on my hamada were all easily removed from the press at the end of the day for cleaning and storage off of pressure. These new crestlines rollers are all bolted down into place. I think I clean these crestlines at the same time as I clean the ink rollers, with the wash-up attachment? So basically I keep the plate loaded up, and the solvent gets carried from the ink rollers to the plate to the dampener, and it gets cleaned up that way? Seems crazy to me, from what I'm used to. Also because I run mostly laser plates and I'm afraid having solvent on the plate is going to break down the toner and leave a toner mess on my rollers.

For nip with, you stop the press when it is inked for about 15 to 20 seconds, then inch it slightly and notice the impression from one roller to another. That is the nip width. It is easier to see this with lighter colored inks. Follow the instructions for adjusting.

Cleaning via the master cylinder as you describe is the easiest way. If you are concerned about using a laser plate use a metal plate or why not the bare cylinder. Just be sure to recondition it afterwards so it remains ink repellent.

For overnight, most just turn the night latch levers. for extended periods of downtime, you might consider removing the rollers that don't separate well placing them across a box so they remain suspended.

tomtech

Hello Robbg

Glad to hear you are running a Ryobi, great machine. We are the largest source for parts, manuals, and technical support for user of Ryobi presses. Contact us for any of your parts or support needs. Information is listed below. Good luck.

Sincerely
Ryobi Press Parts

Ryobi Press Parts

That's similar to an AB Dick 9995A I believe. I agree with tomtech on roller settings and ink choice. Use opaque white, it's much easier to see. You'll have to pull out your ink rollers to set your forms to the vibrators and to the plate. Ink the roller train up first, you're gonna get some ink on your hands, pull the rollers and set them on some paper on the bench. Once those are set you can start putting rolllers back in and set them in order as re-installed. Take your time and all should go well. Not sure about toner getting into your roller train from laser plates, haven't used them. Your water rollers can be washed up by throwing them to the plate during wash up. I remember night latches on the gear side inside the top covers on the print units. If memory serves when you throw everything off the rollers seperate enough to keep from causing flat spots. I would suggest ordering some manuals. The operators manual, the electrical manual and the parts manual. R.

Last edited:
Thanks Alan, for the thorough reply on checking nip widths. That makes a lot of sense.

I actually do have all the manuals, and they have been very helpful, there's just always a couple things that they glance over and leave me guessing.

I've been waist deep in alligators many times over the years with print deadlines and a press that hates me...lol. I suspect you've been printing awhile and by now have realized that a good part of small press operating and learning is trial by fire. I started in a major web shop and got real spoiled over the years with a full compliment of maintenance crew. I left webs and started sheet fed printing and found it to be quite challenging. Good luck with your new acquisition and if need help give me a shout.

What has not been mentioned is the Crestlines -
Nightly, after wash-up, spin the knurled knobs counter-clockwise to alleviate the pressure of the meter roller to the pan roller. (Spin them back down next day for running.)

After you throw your Forms in the night latch position, turn you ink ductors on and inch the press foward until the ductors sit free a clear, this also takes the pressure off you upper and lower feed rollers

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back