Scoring solution for short run digital products

raminmd

Hey all,

Thanks to this forum, after much research, we bought a T-49 for some of our large run jobs a few months ago. What I am looking for now, is a solution for our short run brochure jobs that need to be scored and folded.

We get a few jobs a week that need to be scored and folded. Everything is run on a Canon 7000VP. The quantities are in the 50-200 range. They are all different sizes but the largest sheet that needs to be scored is 11 x 17. We usually score it once in the middle but sometimes, it needs to be scored in 2 places. Setting up the T-49 for such small jobs is not feasible or efficient. I am looking for an offline solution.

While I love the Morgana Products, I just cannot justify the expense since we don't do a tremendous amount. What would you suggest we look at. I can either get just a scoring solution or a scoring/folding solution. Ideally, I do not want to spend a lot of money. Used equipment is fine too.

Thanks.

For digital you are going to want a creaser to avoid toner cracking. I know Morgana is expensive but nice. I believe Count machinery has an offline creaser that will do 11x17. After creasing you can fold on your T-49.

I was looking over creasing equipment at a local (South African) show recently. The Morgana distributors showed me their kit (nice!) but they also had a manual 1 or 2-position creaser. It's a desktop unit and quite laborious for all but the shortest runs. Cost was around R7000 for the A2 size (That would be around USD1000)

Strictly speaking, scoring as we know it, doesn't address the problem of digital toners cracking on the spine. Be sure that you get a creaser, which gives you a "U" profile on the crease, rather then the "V" of a scoring wheel.

We use a Baum 2020 and two sets of Ultimate Scores, we can set up in about 10 minutes from one job to the next. I have scored as few as 15 sheets this way.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back