$SheetWidth variable text mark

mtnman

Hi

Our Production Department would like to add the sheet width to our layouts. In Preps there is a variable text mark $SheetWidth that can be used to automatically indicate the numerical width of the sheet. This works fine when doing an all Preps workflow but we only use Preps to create templates for our Apogee Prepress workflow. When I created a template with the $SheetWidth variable Apogee didn't pick up the appropriate information. According to Apogee Help Apogee does not have corresponding variable text marks for all Preps variable text marks. Does anyone know of a way to add a variable text mark to Apogee or another way to add the sheet width automatically to the job.

Thanks
David

I'm pretty sure you can't do that. I did some extensive testing with Apogee's marks around a year ago. We had ApogeeX 4 then. I doubt they've changed anything to do with the marks since then. Most of the changes in 5 seem to be interface related. If you happen to be using Printdrive to make your plates, you can have Printdrive automatically add the template name and path to the plates outside of the sheet area (or inside if there's a safe place to consistently do so). This is almost as good, since the sheet size is likely included in the name or path of the template. It wouldn't help if an operator set up the sheet size inconsistent with the template or folder name.

Is this for a postscript or a pdf workflow? Probably pdf since you mention Apogee. But you might want to have a look at thread in this link:

Paper Size Mark - GUA Forums

Also, what is it that you want to do with the press sheet width information? Do you want to just print it on the sheet or plate, or do you want to do a calculation with it?

Al

re: $SheetWidth variable text mark

you could use a variable like $DESCRIPTION and in the admin tab put that info in the description part or is it $COMMENT I don't think that is correct, but you can put a comment in the admin tab as to the width and use a variable to pull the info from there.

If you are creating the Template - Deos the Template define the SheetWidth - If so Simply put the sheet width ON the Template???

Or do you use the Template with lots of different Sheet Widths.....

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back