Slime in water circulator and water trays

Green Printer

Registered Users
In December 2013 we switched plates to thermal, processed in a washout unit. Before December 2013 slime was unheard of, now i have to change fountain solution filters ever 5 weeks because of all the slime. Ink,fountain solution,washup, presses are all the same.
Were is all the slime coming from?

How often do you dump your fountain solution tanks? Normal is one week.

This is not to diminish the problem you have since the change in plates.

2 or 3 drops of Kathon CG (Dow Chemical) to a gallon of fountain solution should solve the issue.

D Ink Man

D Ink Man
The circulator is old and uses a royce type replenishment system. I mix 5 gallon at a time. Would 15 drops of Kathon CG be the correct mixture?

The biocide will take care of it. How by just changing plates would cause such a dramatic increase in fungal growth.

What is the connection? Where the old plates and chemistry so nasty that fungus was virtually inhibited from growing. Are the new plates and clean out unit that much cleaner that they allow fungus to take hold?

Well, I agree with you about always WANTING TO KNOW WHY.

However, offset lithography is a very complex entity with hundreds and hundreds of ever changing variables.

Sometimes you just have to leave the question of exactly the reason fot things happening and WANTING TO KNOW WHY on the shelf.

You can take hypothesis into many changes and results that occur in Litho, but the fun and beauty of it, most times you will not know exaxctly why.

This is where EXPERIENCE comes into play and that INGREDIENT in my very honest assesment, is the "BEST INGREDIENT" you can ever have.

D Ink Man

Just curious when you have done a good clean out and back flush of the unit/lines? I do one time every year

Just curious when you have done a good clean out and back flush of the unit/lines? I do one time every year

and opinion here..... Printers Service (PRISCO) has the best for this sort of flushing, as well
as any pressroom chemical you may need. Except ink! And that's a good thing.

D

Kathon is not a material to be handled casually. I recommend the use of regular liquid laundry bleach every two weeks or so. If added to fountain solution before draining the system and allowed to circulate through the press for ten minutes or so, if used in adequate quantity (enough so it smells strongly of swimming pool) this will keep your system free of biological growth. Bleach is easy to get, inexpensive, and not as likely to poison you as Kathon. Also easier to explain to the OSHA folks should they wander in....

Thank you Dan, that is a very good recommendation.

I believe that may be more of a practical attempt in retrospect and less risk, leg work than the Kathon as you have pointed out. Thank you for your input which is always top notch.

D Ink Man

D ink man I attempted to purchase the Kathon and ran into a few obstacles. Question after question of what we're going to use it for, do you have all of the necessary safety to properly handle it. it is highly acidic and very dangerous to handle. I think that you are totally wrong even suggesting the use of Kathon in a non laboratory environment. I could have been in a lot of trouble following the advice to use Kathon.

You are correct green print. I should have known better than to recommend a chemical for use to someone who doesn't know what 3x5 equals. I know the level of intelligence I am dealing with, when I am dealing with you.

And.....as pointed out by Dan Roll, and confirmed by me, the bleach should be your first course of as action to provide remedy.

Further I would love to see the cleanliness on your press and pressroom. You never answered the question of maintenance, but I can just imagine.

Bottom line, you can't give dynamite to a 2 year old. So glad everything worked out for ya.

D

The problem was solved in the middle of May. It has not reoccurred. It was not pressroom related. The problem was caused before the pressroom.
This was an exercise to see what recommendations would be suggested.

There is always more than one way to resolve an issue, especially in offset lithography.

Thanks for quizzing us all green print.

Now the million $ question, how was the problem solved Einstein?

You at least owe Print Planet and it's forum members that.

D Ink Man

There is always more than one way to resolve an issue, especially in offset lithography.

Thanks for quizzing us all green print.

Now the million $ question, how was the problem solved Einstein?

You at least owe Print Planet and it's forum members that.

D Ink Man

D INk man with any answer you customarily redicule the member as well as the information presented.
For your enjoyment this post has provided multiple clues and points for you to assertion which ballpark for a starting point. Once you determine which ballpark, present your answer without condescending remarks. As you make progress additional information will be given.

For years, printers have expressed concern about the potential for downtime if presses
were used to clean out the non-image areas of Thermal printing plate. Concerned about contamination of
the fount solution or possibly material buildup on the rollers, they have asked “Why would I want to
use my expensive press as a processor?”

Here's my stab at the problem Green Printer

D INk man with any answer you customarily redicule the member as well as the information presented.
For your enjoyment this post has provided multiple clues and points for you to assertion which ballpark for a starting point. Once you determine which ballpark, present your answer without condescending remarks. As you make progress additional information will be given.

Psilocybin or too much VOC in press room?

Shall we have a poll?

D I Man

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back