Smoother Solids versus Mottled Solids

Sorry I couldnt match your proof mr customer my ink/water emulsion wasn't unstable enough and I'm only working with a 1900's ink ductor system. No wonder I drink so much!!!

Last edited:
Interesting discussion..... to me worth spending some money to figure it out. Get rid of the ductor maybe? Duct gone missing.jpg

Interesting photo?

Interesting photo?

Erik,

The rest of us can't tell much from that photo. Is that part of the ITB? It looks like the device pictured may move back and forth across the ink fountain. Again, can't tell much from that photo.

Al

Erik,

The rest of us can't tell much from that photo. Is that part of the ITB? It looks like the device pictured may move back and forth across the ink fountain. Again, can't tell much from that photo.

Al

What you see is the back end where there are two air cylinders that activate levers on each arm, that engages and disengages the blade. If you look closely, you will see the dark new pickup roller and the white blade mounted on the grey support bar. Nothing moves across the press. What you are seeing is just the method to clamp and anchor the unit to the press.

I delivered the unit on Friday, did some further assembly there and since the press was down, Jason3791 decided it was a good time to see how it fit in the press. Good thing too, since we found there were some issues that need to be addressed but basically it looks good at this early point in time.

As you know Al, I am not allowed to talk about this technology on this forum so let's not get into too many questions.

By all means do not violate any of the forum restrictions. I just wanted to put you in touch with the reality of what can and cannot be seen by the rest of us in that low resolution photo that we get via the internet. Don't loose your objectivity. Make an effort to forget what you do know about that photo and try to limit yourself to what your web browser delivers. My browser barely shows me the stuff in the foreground. I have to take your word for it that the fuzzy objects in the far background are anything like what you describe. My comments are about the picture, not about your engineering work.

Al

By all means do not violate any of the forum restrictions. I just wanted to put you in touch with the reality of what can and cannot be seen by the rest of us in that low resolution photo that we get via the internet. Don't loose your objectivity. Make an effort to forget what you do know about that photo and try to limit yourself to what your web browser delivers. My browser barely shows me the stuff in the foreground. I have to take your word for it that the fuzzy objects in the far background are anything like what you describe. My comments are about the picture, not about your engineering work.

Al

Al,

I did not take the photo and I did not post the photo and it was also a surprise to me to see it here. I think Jason3791 was just having some fun to post it early. It seems he intentionally made parts of the photo blurry. Looks quite artistic to me. :)

Anyhow what is important will be the results and when that happens they will be made public. Details of this particular version are not so important since there are numerous ways to apply the technology.

I believe if you have a minimum ink and minimum water situation then your solids are smoother and your ink is being allowed to do its job. Your dot gain will be better also (dots are just tiny islands of solid ink anyway) If on the other hand you have the opposite situation over emulsified ink then you need to keep supplying more ink to maintain your print and more water to keep your non image clean and well I dont have to tell you the rest.

Nice in theory, but probably the press is limited to the amount of black it can lay down which is why the person is trying to put down too much ink and thus getting a mottled look, this happens on DI's as well which have no water.

Better to use a rich black

Use Rich Black to Stop Colors Seeping Through | InDesignSecrets

Or if a solid color perhaps 2 plates same color.

Minimum ink and water is not theory. Not sure where the dense black comes into it, if you carry max ink min water you have issues, if you carry min ink and max water you have issues, if you carry max ink and max water you have issues. Pressman must look and measure his control targets to see how his process is doing Trap, dot gain, solids. These tell the real story with no theory involved. Just my opinion folks

Another easy way is to add some opacity to your black if you are printing it in the 4th down position. There are a number ways to do this. Remember that your normal process colors c,my,k are transparent entities. By adding just enough opacity, you could minimize the showthrough of any underlying color, without effecting your process build subjects. Should be done by the hands of an experienced ink formulator. D

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back