Soft-proof policies.

Gregg

First off, I must say I did search this topic before submitting this post. And while there are lots of posts regarding soft-proofing, I couldn't find any that really matched the info I am looking for.

I'm wondering what policies people have regarding soft-proofing (or it may be that the proper term I am looking for is confirming-proofs). We, as the client, are receiving more and more soft-proofs. These are generally at 2nd proof stage - after we've seen a wet or digital proof, and they, typically, are just to confirm text changes or updated imagery (but not for color accuracy). In my opinion we should be looking at those changes only, not trying to re-check the entire file, and deal with the white-frames or cruddy-text concerns (depending on what Page Display preference you are using in Acrobat).

So, as the client or vendor, do you have any soft-proof policies regarding what you will and will not approve via a soft-proof?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

As a print vendor, I send out many proofs in the fashion you've described. I export these out of my RIP, so the file is a raster-based version of the file/page after it has run through my workflow. You can see traps, overprints, color-conversions, the results of transparency effects, et cetera.

The files are tagged with ICC profiles, so everything is present to judge color accurately IF the client were to preview the file properly on an appropriate monitor.

Viewing files that have not passed through the RIP, ie PDFs exported fresh from InDesign, allows for certain issues, but the acceptability of these proofs is really the decision of you, the client. For my part, I try to present the file/page as it will print, but I recognize that I have a very specific focus.

In my opinion we should be looking at those changes only, not trying to re-check the entire file.

Gregg, there is always a chance that something could go wrong, so it is always good to go over the "final" (or each) proof (soft or hard copy) with great care.

Yes, there are various methods for quickly comparing revised versions of one PDF against another PDF iteration.

As a Kodak master distributor in AU/NZ - the solution that we offer for collaborative soft-proofing and asset management is the Kodak INSITE Creative Workflow system. The Kodak ICW Smart Review tool can show the absolute difference highlighted/flashing, the difference only isloated or automatically toggling back and forth between both documents.

Adobe Acrobat Pro has a "compare documents" feature, while there are also third-party plugs for Acrobat.

So, as the client or vendor, do you have any soft-proof policies regarding what you will and will not approve via a soft-proof?

When I was in production, I would stress that the JPEG or PDF draft (I hated the word "proof" in this context) was for content and general colour relationship only, and if colour was critical that the customer would need to come to the shop to view a hard copy proof.

Best,

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
For us, the communication is between production manager and vendor. In general, our vendors don't provide our production dept with any soft proofs other than pages that were updated.

Acrobat's compare documents is great but unless you have a good reason to check all soft proofs as entire files, you are just wasting time going through the motion of too being cautious...not a bad thing IF you have time but who does these days?

Tech, it obviously depends on the workflow, job type, number of jobs or pages etc.

I have been both "client" and "printer" durning my career. There is no time for the client to check proofs this job is urgent. However when the proverbial hits the fan, there is always plenty of time for the printer to reprint at their expense for client error, when the client signed off that the job was "correct". If the printer is lucky, they may be able to reprint at cost rather than for free. So much for the urgency. So much for a "contract proof". What is the printer going to do, draw a line in the sand and stand firm? Or just let it go and hope that they will get another job from this client and that they may make a profit on the next job.

Been there, done that. It gets old very fast.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back