Tagged PDFs - type not lining up

yespress

I recently had a problem with a PDF file that I exported from InDesign 4. It was a PDFX4 file and had some type not lining up (see attachment). When I made the file again with the "Create Tagged PDF" box checked, it seemed to fix the problem. Does anyone know why this might happen? Just wondering how many of you are creating tagged PDFs, and if it is recommended.

Attachments

• Screen Shots.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 171
Odd problem. Clearly an InDesign bug, IMHO.

re: tagged PDF. I've never heard of a problem rendering these in the circles I travel in (Prinergy), but my intuition says that avoiding Tagged PDF for prepress work is probably best avoided if you don't have control over where the file is processed. While most professional workflows/RIPs will likely ignore the tag information at render-time, there's always a chance there's some out there that don't.

Tagged PDF means (among other things) that it will allow text reflow based on the page size. Here's a brief background on it: Planet PDF - What is Tagged PDF?
To what's possible with a Tagged PDF, you might find it interesting to take the Tagged PDF version of your PDF, turn on "Reflow" (Cmd-4, or View\Zoom\Reflow) and change the Acrobat window size.

James

I recently had a problem with a PDF file that I exported from InDesign 4. It was a PDFX4 file and had some type not lining up (see attachment). When I made the file again with the "Create Tagged PDF" box checked, it seemed to fix the problem. Does anyone know why this might happen? Just wondering how many of you are creating tagged PDFs, and if it is recommended.

Assuming you mean InDesign CS4, then you are not current on your patches for it. This was a bug in the original release of CS4 that's been fixed for almost a year now. Please run the Adobe Updater to get current on the product.

Leonard

The version of InDesign that I am using is 6.0.5. I checked for updates and there were none. Also, I've been using InDesign 4 for almost 2 years now and haven't noticed this problem till just recently. Could a preference possibly be causing this?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back