Taipan 3.1: Feed 1-Bit Tif? Other workaround to "Error: limitcheck; OffendingCommand:

DuaneBryant

Taipan 3.1: Feed 1-Bit Tif? Other workaround to "Error: limitcheck; OffendingCommand:

I have a single 31.5x42.5" PDF file from our customer that will not Rip on our AGFA Apogee Taipan 3.1 Rip, that feeds our Avantra44S.

This file is composed of tens of countless-thousands of vectors and postscript-pattern-fills from illustrator. We get "Error: limitcheck; OffendingCommand: clip"

This file is a single-color job, with only the Black separation needed.

As a work-around, We got our customer to send a 2400dpi 1-Bit Tif instead. I can not figure out the best way to run that 1-But Tif through the Taipan 3.1 rip.

?Is it possible?

DETAILS:
My normal workflow is to take a pdf, open in AcrobatProfessional, and Export a .PS file. I use "Acrobat Default" as the "Printer Description File", then in the "Output" window, I un-check the separations I do not want (all but black in this case).

I can not figure out how to get the 1-Bit tif converted to PDF, OR to PostScript. OR is there some other way? Feed the tif directly to Taipan 3.1?
Resolution must be 2400dpi

Thank you for any & all help and advice with this challenging project that is very important to one of our biggest and best clients.

Sincerely,
Duane

Hi Duane,

I'm not too familiar with the Taipain RIP but I know that other RIPS usually have options where you can manually select a file to RIP.

I'd be interested in taking a look at the PDF to see if it could be optimized. It's a good size file, but you're not getting an out of memory error.

Greg

Greg thanks: I will PrivateMessage a link to the file. I am interested to see your post after seeing this monster file. Of course, if I could solve the problem while keeping pdf and vector files right to the Rip, that would be preferred. But if the time comes to give up on that path, how can I feed it a pre-ripped/screened 2400dpi 1-Bit Tiff?

While I play around with this, can you place the 1-bit tiff into InDesign or Quark and then Print/Export PS as you do from Acrobat?

Greg

Here is what I have tried to make a PDF, so I can make PostScript:
I just tried placing the 1-Bit Tif in InDesign, then Exported a PDF. When I opened that PDF in AcrobatProfessional, the image was distorted, skewed into a rhombus.

I tried just converting the 1-Bit Tif to PDF using Acrobat Professional but it said it was either an unsupported file type, or damaged.

Question: What driver could I use to Print PS from InDesign? The dropdown in the print dialog has lots of consumer printers. Which one do I choose? OR What printer driver do I install, and how do I do that on my iMac running 10.5.8? PrintDialog1.jpg
PrintDialogPrinterList1.jpg
The default does not let me do separations: composite only.

I can open the 1-Bit Tif in Photoshop, so I know the file is not damaged. Photoshop just does not help me any, because the only file format I can save in is the TIF format it is already in.

I placed the 1-Bit in InDesign, then Wrote PS file from Indesign, then attempted to convert to PDF using Acrobat Distiller, but got "VM Error".

Thanks! Now I can Print PostScript@! Trying the 1-Bit Tif, Placed in InDesign, Print PostScript to the Taipan Rip. Will let you know the result...

I can open the 1-Bit Tif in Photoshop, so I know the file is not damaged. Photoshop just does not help me any, because the only file format I can save in is the TIF format it is already in.
Why do you want to save from Photoshop??? or convert your TIFF in PDF or PS???

The way to handle this TIFF file is very simple : you open the TIFF in Photoshop, and you PRINT from Photoshop to your RIP ! it's that easy!!!

i have the same problem years ago , because taipan is very old rip sometimes complicated files can't rip properly and can't accept one bit tiff files also , solution you must use printdrive from agfa (can image your one bit tiff files) but this software not rip just driver . and rip it in new age rip (in your case already have them)
p.s max size of p.s 2 giga in taipan

Last edited by a moderator:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back