tecnotrans inkline canisters shutting down

I have been having problems with our tecnotrans inkline canisters on our heidelberg 102cd 6/c w/coater shutting down (all units at one time). What's even more peculiar it is random. But when it does happen it is when the load in the feeder is brought up and as soon as the pile centering eyes drop to read the load there is a chirp noise and all the canisters shut off completely. If your not paying attention and start running you will run out of ink. You can just restart the canister and they will be fine until this happens again. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has had any experience with this problem or any thoughts on this problem.

Nobody has done anything with the system. That's what is so strange. It's like there is a dead short that happens and knocks all units out. But then you can just restart the canisters. Thanks

Do you have any errors on your console? They would show up as a yellow Circle T in the error display or possibly a 4 digit Dynamic Error Code under diagnostics?

We hade a similar problem with our 8 color Ink Lines. The 5th unit blower bar motor would short out causing an error with one of the power supplies; this would in turn cause the ink lines to cut off. We read the Dynamic Error Codes displayed in the console and from there determined which power supply was acting up. Then we looked through the electrical drawings to determine what the power supply controlled. From there it was process of elimination to find which item, in this case a blower bar motor, that was causing the problem.

Sounds like you've at least isolated an area that could be indirectly causing an issue.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I am not getting yellow circle T showing up in the console. No error on the monitor. However, I have not checked the dynamic error codes. I will do that, thanks. I found that the ink line and the feeder run through the same eak board. So I did swap out the feeder eak board with the first unit eak board. The inklines have only been going out once a day now??? It's strange but that's what has happened. It seems everything runs through a can bus on the press but according to the wiring layout in the book the inllkline may or may not go through the can bus. (they show it both ways) Did your problem end up being the power supply board was bad?

Luckily our power supply board was ok (they are not cheap). If you swap boards and the problem is still there it's definitely something controlled by that board. That's exactly what we did we swapped boards, saw the problem was still there and systematically unplugged and replugged all items associated with the board until the problem did not happen anymore- in our case it was a bad air/blower bar in unit 4 of our 8-color sm102.

Sounds like you're on the right track, these kind of issues can be frustrating.Good Luck!

Mike

Found the problem today. When the pile centering eyes drop to read the load in the feeder the operator side eye was pinching the wires to that eye and sending a short to the inkline canasters and believe it or not, it will cause the feeder to trip also. There are three wires going to the eye and if one got pinched it would trip out the inkline canasters and if one of the other wires got pinched and grounded it would trip out the feeder if it was in gear and the press was running. This is totally crazy to me that this could happen but it did. I ordered a new cable for the eye and taped up the wires for now. Thank you everyone for all your input!!!

How we miss the days of the old 5# can!

Cannisters are nothing but problems, especially for the ink packers to try to get the puck to properly seat and seal. Many issues with ink skin are prevalent with these 4 and 8 lb. cannisters.

Pumping from a 55 gallon drum makes much more sense, with a properly designed (oxygen free) system. It is being done successfully by some large sheet fed printers.

So this is how we have evolved and progressed. Yeeha!

D

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back