TFv5 Sloooooooowwww

ratbag

Our system can be incredibly unresponsive at times, and it seems to be getting worse. I have my theories.

I worked for another company years ago who used TFv2, and every month I'd clean all hot folders and impo templates that had been completed from the system. This would keep it running fairly quickly, so I assume it was the database.

However I'm not in charge of the system here, and we tend to keep a lot of past jobs on the system. But I don't know how different TFv5 is from TFv2 aside from the UI, so I can't say for sure that it's the same problem. We have tons of disk space apparently, and only 4 users.

Even if it is a case of too many jobs on the system, should we not be able to do this without slowing down anyway? What could the problem be, and what are the solutions? Can we keep working the way we do or, how do you organise your workflow/system?

I have had TF V 3, 4 and 5 for the past four years.
We keep at least 100 blue folders with a total of over 1,000 brown folders at all times.
One of the main things to do is to get the maintenance sheet from Screen that shows what to do weekly.
One of the things that that does is to clean out your ui cache. You would be amazed at how much that helps.

Cheers for the advice, I asked our trueflow tech, and he had never heard of a maintenance sheet, it's not in pdf format by chance?

I've found that running the Environment Repair Tool can sort some problems eg jobs endlessly processing. Don't know if this tool cleans out the "ui" though. I'm running TF4 v3

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back