Thinking of buying the Xerox 700

John, I wish I could remember the report, it was in one of the trade magazines, I may be off a little on the summary so correct me where I'm wrong.

It was a survey of printers that compared the quality of digital output from production devices vs offset. The printers were from different country's around the world. The majority in every country but the Germans picked the digital over the offset.

Ok - just curious about wheter the offset-statement is true or just sales-talk

you'll have to be the judge on that. what does "offset look" mean to you? is it matte output? line screen? color gamut? etc...

Yeah well, wait for the c8000, a better product at more than likely half the price.

I'd like to know how it is a "better product"? can you elaborate?

half the price? probably; I won't be surprised on that.

It was a survey of printers that compared the quality of digital output from production devices vs offset. The printers were from different country's around the world. The majority in every country but the Germans picked the digital over the offset.

I think I remember this study; I think it came out last year. If it's the one I was thinking, I think the KM6500 was there, also some of the Xerox units and the Canon 6000/7000.

The best thing is, when you have a job that mixes Mono and Color clicks, you can just specify the pages that need to print Mono and it will click properly, where the Creo/Fiery would have to split the job up into two and collate back together.

This is actually not true. If you save the page to be a black click as greyscale before combining, you will still need to click the box (under protected colors) "preserve black color". Then one page will click as color, and the other will click as black.

I think the Xerox 700 will give you room for growth from 10k to 70k. If you reach 100k, maybe you may need to add a second unit. The question is when do you expect 100k. In a few months, 1 year or 5 years? If it's short term, you may want to look at something "bigger". If it's mid/long term, you can start with the Xerox 700.

Thanks for the info. Definitely mid-term (unless my marketing team do a stellar job!), so I'll definitely start with a 700 and then look at my options after 24-36 months.

Thanks for the info. Definitely mid-term (unless my marketing team do a stellar job!), so I'll definitely start with a 700 and then look at my options after 24-36 months.

Have you considered the 5000AP? If you dont mind the glossy print I think it would be a upgrade from the 700

I don't think that Freeflow, Fiery or Creo will resolve oil issues. 5000 has oil fuser that's why sheets are shiny, they are coated with oil. 700 / 800/ 1000 don't use oil that's why they have a bit of matte finish. Howevere I noticed that on 800/1000 models sheets are shiner then 700. It's very strange since both printers use EA toner without oil. Just a few observations

that's because the 800/1000 can have a 5th clear glossy toner layed down on some or all of the page... slick!

I don't think the clear is the cause of the "glossy" look you are refering to.
I'll do some research about the gloss difference between 700 and 800/1000 and get back

Clear tone has nothing to do with shiny prints. Samples were printed without using clear toner and they looke shiny

The 800 and 1000 do you EA Toner, but also use a small amount of oil. I haven't seen any samples but got my info from a xerox tech.

The 800 and 1000 do you EA Toner, but also use a small amount of oil. I haven't seen any samples but got my info from a xerox tech.

Hi just to clarify,

There is no oil in the Xerox C1000P. Just the 5th clear toner station, which as previous posts have indicated, can be applied to the the whole page (flood) or be used on objects.
Application of the clear toner is rather simplistic.

The EA toner, on some substrates does, at times, appear shiny/glossy but I can assure you that there is no messy oil or streaks on this product, nor on the 700.

I guess it depends on your print market and clients perception/preference on the quality of the print output.

For example a photobook customer may actually prefer the "glossy" look as the photos appear "better", whereas a story book publisher with minimal color objects may dislike the "distracting" gloss look. Again its up to the preference of your larger client base of which printing technology they prefer. We are often our own worst critics in this industry and sometimes dont take a step back and see it from our clients point of view.

As for which machines are best.....well all I know is that Xerox invented the technology, and yep, sure there are cheaper products which yield a similar result for far less price (the old adage you pay for what you get creeps in here) and for most, that shall suffice. but for others who see the total package of service, quality, speed etc...quality remains long after price is forgotten........ just a thought.

There will always be places in the world where machines, say the 700, perform perfectly well (as expected and demo'd) where in other places it may have an unsatisfactory service history.

We could attribute this to perhaps two problems:

A- Local non Xerox service people not having a complete and solid understanding of
machine tolerances, limitations and correct workflow.
"lets blame stock or the machines design, the toner or this or that...."

B- Sales people not providing the correct solution for the customers needs and either
underselling the machine and having the product perform or over selling a complex
device with no forethought of upgrade possibilities.

These plus other compunding factors contribute to the tainted skew of product perception and this happens regardless of the company, wether Ricoh Canon or KM. The problem remains the same. if the team that technically supports you is not skilled enough to provide resolutions and help develop your business with sound advice and workflows then no matter what product you choose, the same inherent problems can be found everywhere.

Moral of the story..... Do what works best for you, your company and most important of all your customers. It is far better to err on the side of higher price for a better machine and gurantee the level of service you require, then settle for a mediocre product that may give you more downtime in the future.

Just a thought or ten...... :)

There is no oil. There is lots of mis-information out there, even among Xerox "techs", but there is no oil in any of the Fuji Xerox designed EA toner machines. The iGen uses oil and what it calls EA toner, but it isn't the same EA toner "family" that Fuji Xerox --who designed all the other color machines Xerox sells-- uses. It is called EA simply because it is also created with an emulsion aggregation process. But otherwise they are unrelated. Most all modern color toners by all the majors are, by THAT definition, EA toners. They just have snappier names for them like Simitri and whatnot. :) But they're all chemical toners.

The Fuji Xerox EA toner _can_ be ridiculously glossy, actually. It is all simply related to amount of heat and travel speed through the fuser.

For example, the newest variant of Fuji Xerox's EA toner, the EA-Eco which is used in the 700 as well as 800 and 1000, is pretty matte (coming out of the 700). However, load it up in a DocuColor 250 and it is CRAZY glossy. I mean really, stupid glossy. Unfortunately it is also not the correct color balance, not being designed for the 250 after all, and so the colors come out really over saturated. So if you are looking for more gloss, don't get excited, it isn't a viable solution.

But because the EA-Eco toner is designed for higher speed (therefore spending LESS time in the fuser) and lower temperatures, when you load it in a slower machine with higher temperatures, it becomes VERY glossy.

With many machines, like the DC250 and presumably the 700 and 800/1000, you can (within reason) lie to them. Tell the machine that the paper loaded is a lightweight cardstock, not regular paper, and presumably it will bump up the temperature. Or slow down the paper travel speed. Viola, more gloss.

This can potentially affect your print quality because it also adjusts the transfer voltages to accommodate a light cardstock even though it isn't actually RUNNING light cardstock, but I've not really found this to be a problem generally.

Since the 800/1000 run all papers at full speed, there isn't really the "slowing it down" drawback, either. Assuming the trick works on them.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back