tiff and pdf problems on postershop 7.1.0.4

palodi

Hello

Recently we purchased an Oce Arizona 250GT printer with Production house 7.1.0.4

We configured the Rip (quickset) to read the ICC profiles included on the files and also to assing one in case that the file didn´t had a profile.

We also set ALL the rendering intents to relative colorimetric.

the output had also a profile from a material configuration downloaded from the OCE site

the postcript configuration is like this:

bandhome - c:\temp - unchecked
blackoverprint - on - unchecked
ccadl - yes - unchecked
defaultfont- times new roman - unchecked
mallocpages - 49152 - unchecked
maxelat - 10000.0 - unchecked
messages - on - unchecked
minflat - 0.00001 - unchecked
overprint - on - unchecked
quickspotreplace - on - unchecked
spotrederintent - 2 - checked
transparency - on - checked
uspedfcrop - on - unchecked
vmisize - 128000000 - checked

One of the first test that I did was to send a rgb file (with an icc profile embedded) to the rip. I also sent a pdf with the same image (and told distiller to assing the same profile to the final pdf).

So now I had 2 rgb files. One was a tiff file and the other a pdf file, both with the same image (same numeric values) and the same icc profile (to tell the rip how to interpret those values).

Note that no color conversion was made when making the pdf.

finally I opened the tiff file on photoshop and also opened the pdf file on acrobat on the MAC and they both looked the same on the monitor, just to check everything was right.

I opened both files on postershop (with the same quickset configuration) and printed them, but contrary to what I thought the output print was different. Same values, same icc profile, same quickset but different printed output.

I thought that maybe this only happened with rgb files so next thing I did was to do the same test with a cmyk image. But It happened the same. The tiff file and the pdf file were ripped in a different way even though they were the same image, with the same values and the same icc profile. This time I did not print anything because I was able to see the difference in the preflight application.

so I started to do more tests using different quickset configurations and also using files with embedded icc profiles and without icc profiles.

after much configuration changing and ripping I came upon the conclusion that whenever the files had embbeded icc profiles and the quickset had been set to read them, and act accord them, the tiff and the pdf files had different output

If the files don´t have embedded icc profiles or else the quickset is set to ignore embedded icc profiles and also don´t assing an icc profile to flies without them, then the tiff and the pdf are ripped in the same way.

facing this problem I have some questions

if the tiff and the pdf rips different then I suppose that one file format is ripped in a correct way and the other file format is ripped wrong

but, which file format is ripped correctly?

in case that I ever get to know which file format is the one that rips correctly, then, is it possible to make the other file format to get ripped in the same way?

am I the only one that thinks that if you send to the rip the same numeric values with the same ICC profile you should get the same printed output whether you send it in tiff format or in pdf format?

Pablo López

Hi Pablo,

Since no one has responded, I thought this might help.
Onyx released an update to the rip family. v7.2 is out and they say that it has a lot of improvements to pdf, ripping etc.....
From the release notes, • Consistent application of ICC profiles embedded in PDF 1.7 files.

http://www.onyxgfx.net/

Im going to attempt to install it this week but its a painful process for users of Epson, ColorSpan, and Seiko printers. You need to remove the whole app and do a clean install.

Good luck

-ian

Oce Arizona 250GT Printhead Frequent Failure

Oce Arizona 250GT Printhead Frequent Failure

Hello

Recently we purchased an Oce Arizona 250GT printer with Production house 7.1.0.4

We configured the Rip (quickset) to read the ICC profiles included on the files and also to assing one in case that the file didn�t had a profile.

We also set ALL the rendering intents to relative colorimetric.

the output had also a profile from a material configuration downloaded from the OCE site

the postcript configuration is like this:

bandhome - c:\temp - unchecked
blackoverprint - on - unchecked
ccadl - yes - unchecked
defaultfont- times new roman - unchecked
mallocpages - 49152 - unchecked
maxelat - 10000.0 - unchecked
messages - on - unchecked
minflat - 0.00001 - unchecked
overprint - on - unchecked
quickspotreplace - on - unchecked
spotrederintent - 2 - checked
transparency - on - checked
uspedfcrop - on - unchecked
vmisize - 128000000 - checked

One of the first test that I did was to send a rgb file (with an icc profile embedded) to the rip. I also sent a pdf with the same image (and told distiller to assing the same profile to the final pdf).

So now I had 2 rgb files. One was a tiff file and the other a pdf file, both with the same image (same numeric values) and the same icc profile (to tell the rip how to interpret those values).

Note that no color conversion was made when making the pdf.

finally I opened the tiff file on photoshop and also opened the pdf file on acrobat on the MAC and they both looked the same on the monitor, just to check everything was right.

I opened both files on postershop (with the same quickset configuration) and printed them, but contrary to what I thought the output print was different. Same values, same icc profile, same quickset but different printed output.

I thought that maybe this only happened with rgb files so next thing I did was to do the same test with a cmyk image. But It happened the same. The tiff file and the pdf file were ripped in a different way even though they were the same image, with the same values and the same icc profile. This time I did not print anything because I was able to see the difference in the preflight application.

so I started to do more tests using different quickset configurations and also using files with embedded icc profiles and without icc profiles.

after much configuration changing and ripping I came upon the conclusion that whenever the files had embbeded icc profiles and the quickset had been set to read them, and act accord them, the tiff and the pdf files had different output

If the files don�t have embedded icc profiles or else the quickset is set to ignore embedded icc profiles and also don�t assing an icc profile to flies without them, then the tiff and the pdf are ripped in the same way.

facing this problem I have some questions

if the tiff and the pdf rips different then I suppose that one file format is ripped in a correct way and the other file format is ripped wrong

but, which file format is ripped correctly?

in case that I ever get to know which file format is the one that rips correctly, then, is it possible to make the other file format to get ripped in the same way?

am I the only one that thinks that if you send to the rip the same numeric values with the same ICC profile you should get the same printed output whether you send it in tiff format or in pdf format?

Pablo L�pez

Dear Pablo,

Look like you need to convert the file into photoshop or raster and try it out maybe it will help. Yes PDF and Tiff are rip differently one is one raster processor another is postscript processor.

Frankie Koh
Magicolor

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back