Tool to measure paper thickness?

Hadrian

I know this is a rookie question but what tool do I buy to measure the thickness of paper (in points)?

I've noticed that several stocks of paper may have a different a cover weight but the thickness appears the same. For example I bought a 172lb cover stock and a 220lb stock but they both appear to be around 24 point thick; is this possible?

you will be looking for basic micrometer. And its very possible that 2 different papers of the same thickness weigh, feel, fold, and run differently.

get something small and handy like this

Attachments

• pocket1a1a.jpeg
    pocket1a1a.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 211
It's usually measured in 1000th's of a mm. (1 micron = 0.001 mm)

I prefer to measure 5 (for example) sheets at a time and then divide my total measurement by 5 to get a more accurate reading.

Reactions: EEM
Oh, and yes, it's possible...

Thickness is not really related to weight: a thick piece of wood might weigh less than a thinner piece of steel, for example.
Thickness is not really related to 'stiffness' either: a thin piece of steel is stiffer (more rigid) than a thick piece of foam.
I know we're talking about paper here, but the examples illustrate the point.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back