topaz scanner problems . . .

dabob

I have a topaz flatbed scanner from heidelberg and until recently was driving it with a mac G3 server running os 9. it only has a scsi interface. now the g3 has died a painful death . . . does anyone know of any solutions to updating this scanner to todays machines????

You could get a Mac Pro with a SCSI card to drive the scanner.
However, if you were using Linocolor - it will not work under OS X, so you have to get other software. I'm not sure, I think there was NewColor (or something like that), and also Silverfast used to drive some Heidelberg scanners.
Or you could do what we do - get an ancient Mac G4 off e-bay and stick with what you have. Given that we scan 2-3 slides a week, we can't justify investing in new hardware/software.

I agree with Amer.
Get a G4 off of ebay and just use that. We run our Topaz with an old G4 (accelerated to 1ghz) running Linocolor. I looked at silverfast and was not willing to spend that much money for the number of scans that come in. The speed increase from that of the G3 will be an added bonus too.
Don't forget we are in a depression and i'ts only getting worse...

I agree with Amer.
Get a G4 off of ebay and just use that. We run our Topaz with an old G4 (accelerated to 1ghz) running Linocolor. I looked at silverfast and was not willing to spend that much money for the number of scans that come in. The speed increase from that of the G3 will be an added bonus too.
Don't forget we are in a depression and i'ts only getting worse...

How do you run linocolor on a g4? mine has an adb dongle . . . is there an usb to adb adaptor for that??? I have an old g4 lying around and I am working to get it running but am currently stumped by the dongle problem???

thanks for the responses

Even if money was not a subject,i would go with the g4 option.

In my opinion linocolor was much better than silverfast!

How do you run linocolor on a g4? mine has an adb dongle . . . is there an usb to adb adaptor for that??? I have an old g4 lying around and I am working to get it running but am currently stumped by the dongle problem???

We have Linocolor v6 so we don't need a dongle.
But there are adapters for adb to usb (iMate by Griffin)

Topaz problem

Topaz problem

I too have a Topaz. Mine is one of the original LinoColor brands. I do recommend you find another G3 and keep using OS 9.x
LinoColor is a fine solution to scanning, I trained users for years (and still do if necessary) All I do is scan to LAB, convert to RGB and shuttle the images to Photoshop on a mac or pc. Just be sure to put the .tif on the back of the file name.
G3 macs are still available and cheap.
need more help? Ask me: Color4Prepress

Tango, Topaz, Saphire, Linocolor... painfull memories for the density-trained scannerman I used to be...

Does anyone have an answer for initialisation errors ... I keep getting the hardware can't be found call service. And does anyone know where you can get parts?? All advice is welcome, thank you Raoul

new problem with topaz

new problem with topaz

Well . . . got a g4 with 9.2 installed and an adaptec 2930 scsi card and a griffin usb adb converter . . . lo and behold it finds the scanner but apparently the dongle is not being found since it is only running in demo mode and putting a big old demo in the middle of the scan. I know the adb converter is working since I have a keyboard & trackball on the other side of it and they both work fine . . any ideas?????

Topaz drama

Topaz drama

Well . . . got a g4 with 9.2 installed and an adaptec 2930 scsi card and a griffin usb adb converter . . . lo and behold it finds the scanner but apparently the dongle is not being found since it is only running in demo mode and putting a big old demo in the middle of the scan. I know the adb converter is working since I have a keyboard & trackball on the other side of it and they both work fine . . any ideas?????

Hello...
What model is your scanner... Topaz I or Topaz II ... The topaz scanners with round lights... these are the model II as far as I know. What version of Linocolor are you running...

I believe topaz I and linocolor 4.1 . . . the latest round is I got a beige and white g3 (scsi and adb built in) installed os8 on it and the durn thing works!!!! apparently the griffin adb converter didn't do the trick but its all good now . .. I looking for a back up for the g3 now so when it dies this time I will be ready

thanks for all the input

bob

Topaz Dongle issue

Topaz Dongle issue

Get an old Mac Keyboard from Ebay, hook up the Keyboard to the Griffin Imate and attach the dongle to the Keyboard.

Dongle does not work?

Dongle does not work?

Well, you might try to find a newer copy of LinoColor that uses a code instead of a dongle. They should be able to be found. The version is around 5.0 or so.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back