Toshiba??

betterimp

I have not heard anything about Toshiba. Does anyone know anything about the 6530? We are looking for an entry into digital, and wonder if this machine is comparable to the Konica 6500, and or any other suggestions. We have offset presses, so we are looking for something to offer for short runs, proofing, etc.

Thanks,

Mike

More Fast Plastic

More Fast Plastic

I called a friend at a Toshiba Dealership and near as I can tell this is yet another "Fast Plastic" offering from a second tier manufacturer. Two Low Lights from what I've found out are:

No Fiery RIP option, therefore color management might be an issue.

100-Sheet Bypass (17 lbs. Bond - 110 lbs. Cover)

Comes with a Fax Board option and that should tell you where the manufacturer feels the product fits. Do you see a fax board option on the Canon, Xerox, K-M offerings at this print speed?

Second tier manufacturers are second tier for a reason and often the reason is poor distribution caused by smaller dealers lack of resources to properly support Print for Pay and other large volume accounts.

Personally I would run and not walk

But, what is not fast plastic. I noticed the lack of a rip, and a low price, but when I look at the other entry level machines, they all look pretty plasticky!

I would be willing to sacrifice some speed, but, since we are trying to supplement our offset printing, quality is an important issue. Also, we don't want to be faced with a lot of down-time.

Is their a relatively low cost printer that will deliver consistent, repeatable color? Or, if not, what would be the entry level for a "commercial printer"?

There is no point in paying too much, but any price is too much if the machine can't get the job done.

Has anyone seen the IPA shootout results?

I really think you have to take a look at the K-M, Xerox and Canon units.

But first things first.

• What is your projected volumes?
  • Who is your target customer?
  • What Are your current customers expectations quality and consistency wise?
  • What are YOUR expectations of the dealer who will support you?
  • Does the Toshiba Dealer meet those expectations?
  • Have you determined your maximum budget for hardware?
  • Established Budgeted hourly rate for the hardware?
  • Does the maximum budget support an appropriate profit margin?

Once you have those answers then you can start to evaluate the equipment options that are available and there are plenty of options.

Remember the old saying that was around when I got out of tech school in 1972. "The sour taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is gone"

Many of the National copier vendors described above utilize a Call Center approach to serivce dispatch that can drive you nuts to get local support. It is nice to be able to drive down the street and visit your local Dealer/Service Provider to get Emergency supplies or talk to the business owner when you have a problem.

But, what is not fast plastic. I noticed the lack of a rip, and a low price, but when I look at the other entry level machines, they all look pretty plasticky!

I would be willing to sacrifice some speed, but, since we are trying to supplement our offset printing, quality is an important issue. Also, we don't want to be faced with a lot of down-time.

Is their a relatively low cost printer that will deliver consistent, repeatable color? Or, if not, what would be the entry level for a "commercial printer"?

There is no point in paying too much, but any price is too much if the machine can't get the job done.

Has anyone seen the IPA shootout results?

Well it turns out that I ended up working for Toshiba and I'll tell you my observations.

6530C DOES come with a Fiery Option. The basic RIP is better than most and auto caibration is easy.

The Fiery Profile builder is available as well. Turns out that in the IPA shootout the 6530 fared very well, maintaining preformance within the parameters defined on EVERY criteria including Delta E!

OK, so where does it fail? First it's dirt cheap and if you're looking to pound out 350,000 to 500,000 per month look elsewhere as you are guaranteed to be disappinted. HOWEVER if you're doing 35,000 to 100,000 a month then the numbers and performace get very appealing, Buy it on a three year lease, knowing that's as long as it will last. IMO as someone who served on the Canon 7000 Launch Team the Toshiba is a player if you don't ask it to do more than it is capable of.

With the lowest cost in it's quality range, coupled with low click charges it representss an incredible value to printers who are transitioning to Digital Color, those building volume of looking for a backup to one of the bigger offerings from the other major vendors.

The quality and realiability kind of blew me away whenI got hired. I've got some printers interested.

I have a couple in Print shops without Fierys that take a good daily pounding. Like stated in the previous post, they are a great B copier to have in your Print shop as a compliment to your expensive heavy metal copier that does all of the heavy paper weights. Well priced, reliable, good RIP. The big players do not know know much about this copier, so they will make broad, untrue statements in an attempt to discredit it.

I would mention that the Saddle stitch function suffers a bit in productivity. I have a customer that has a weekly 1,000 set Saddle stitch Booklet to make. It is a Letter size, seven page booklet with first sheet insert. The customer complained about how long it took to complete the job. We reminded them that the Xerox price was double. In the end, we got them a used Toshiba 81 cpm copier with Saddle stitch for $1k. Now they can do the job in five hours and are happy.

The e6530c series has 1200 x 1200 DPI printing in PSL3. This does a good job when small details like logos on a business card bleed into each other.

The e6530c does not like Glossy paper too much and can have registration errors.

toshiba sucks

toshiba sucks

all are cheap plastic. But Toshiba really sucks.

I have serviced them and literally been inside of one...they're horrible.

If you're looking at b/w don't rule out Kyocera Mita...they're excellent machines! Their color is not so hot though.

I demo'd the Toshiba a few years ago and I wasn't impressed. It kept jamming. I felt bad for the dealer. What bothered me was that they couldn't give me a solid answer to my question - "Can it do gloss stock?" Later, I found that it can't. Over half of what I do is on coated stock. And I read the same IPA shootout and I think it said that it can't do gloss but other than that it performed really well. But I think there is a difference between passing some tests and meeting the challenges of a production environment.

Ricoh a possibilty?

Ricoh a possibilty?

Hi,

Ricoh(previously gestetner) has various options that i know will assist.

If you or anyone else is interested in finding out more just drop me a mail, [email protected]

I think that would really be a problem. Not being able to manage color well would make it hard for you to have outputs which would look the way you exactly want it to be.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back