Total Area Coverage on Silk Papers

Vernon Roberts

If anyone would like to share, I'd like to know what TAC percentage you are using for different papers. Specifically silk papers. Let me know what brands, finishes, and weights. Thanks

Something I didn't mention above, I'm talking for sheetfed offset, no waterless or UV.

It's coated paper so 300-320 is typical.

I used to think the same way, then I received some specifications for Polyart paper, which is considered a synthetic, something I plate with a coated TVI curve. The specifications call for a max TAC of 260%. It set-offs real easy. I was thinking just like you, thinking it's coated, should be around 300-320 TAC. This made me rethink all stocks.

Silk is considered a light coated stock. Does that mean it can hold the same amount of ink as a heavy coated stock, and be just as easy to run on press without set-off?

I didn't realize that when you said "silk" you meant "synthetic".

I'm not confusing silks and synthetics, I'm asking for anyone to list any TAC they are using for any stocks.

I'm currently using 300% for silk. I have specs on 1 synthetic stock, Polyart. It states 260%. I'd just like to know what others are doing for any stocks.

It's coated paper so 300-320 is typical.

Gordo,
when you say 300 to 320 are you assuming an inline aqueous coating with traditional litho inks? Without an aqueous coating its my feeling that your flirting with disaster to run TID that high. The biggest issue I have with that high of a TID is that when the inevitable offsetting eventually occurs ,its always the press crew thats at fault!!! Sure them really high ink films look great during the OK process, and customers love the richness, but IMO its risky. Especially if its silk stock. Synthetic substrate would just about guarantee loads of bricks lying around the pressroom floor.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back