Transparency in Illustrator and proof

leog

Hi guys, I need some help.
I’ve done a pack in Illustrator, it will be printed on mirror board. It is a 3 colours gravure print, Black, a spot red and white printed underneath black. I have some transparencies on the black and red but on the proof all the transparencies cannot be seen. I understood that the dot gain is 6%, but I cannot even see a 73% tint of black. The guys who did the proof told me that they used UV inks and the dot gain on these inks is 23%.
Is it possible?

How does your separations look in Illustrator?
When you say it's in black, and with 73%, it means black is not solid black :)
The dot gain is usually quoted as a maximum, which is normally around 50%, so a 73% tint should still be different from full tone.

Is the proof from a company involved in the production? If it is a proof and not just a print out then it should simulate the result of the final product mapping TVI to simulate the appropriate dot gain.
If it is the native dot gain of the "proofer" then it is more of an imposition print out?

Thanks Lukas,
the separations look fine in Illustrator. Everything was printed quite dark, but they missed all the transparencies. Unfortunately the company who did the proof isn't involved in the production. I said to them they had to simulate the appropriate dot gain, and first they said the dot gain was 6% and then it was 23% because of the UV inks. :)
The transparencies should be very subtle, as the client asked for, and the maximum tint on transparencies is 85%. I've printed before such tints on gravure, but now every tint above 70% cannot be seen, so it looks more like an imposition print out.
What do you think, would a tint of 85% be achievable on a mirror board?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back