Type dropping off pages in pdfs

pajdzn

I have been working with some pdfs provided by clients and noticed that the pages can change by themselves. I have taken the files and exported as ps to RIP with Prinergy and have had lines of type disappear on the fly. I have had similar results by just saving the pdf with a new name. I think that at may be caused by the client combining pages that come from different sources and there may be a font conflict but I don't know for sure how the file is created. It appears to be from InDesign CS2 but I don't know what links were used in the file.

Any ideas on what to look for that may be causing this issue?

Thanks in advance.

So the original file is ok, but if you print it or even save it with a new name, some lines of text disappear? Is it the same lines that are disappearing or a random line?

You could check out the PDF info section that lists the fonts if you think it might be a font conflict. Also use the Adobe Preflighter and then check out any errors that comes up with. GL

I have been working with some pdfs provided by clients and noticed that the pages can change by themselves. I have taken the files and exported as ps to RIP with Prinergy and have had lines of type disappear on the fly. I have had similar results by just saving the pdf with a new name. I think that at may be caused by the client combining pages that come from different sources and there may be a font conflict but I don't know for sure how the file is created. It appears to be from InDesign CS2 but I don't know what links were used in the file.

Thanks in advance.

Use the preflight module of Acrobat Pro to run a "inventory report" which can be found in the upper right under "options". Check the fonts box. In the report you will see a mapping of the characters with the name of the character below. If there is a mismatch, there's your problem.

You have subset fonts? I used to have that happen, but was told that it couldn't happent. Usually it is in combining documents where you have different subsetts of the same font. What happens is that the "wrong" subset is used and therefore the characters you need for that specific page are not present in the subsett. If the files are already made it becomes difficult. If you have full versions of the font on your system, try unembedding the subsetted fonts and then saving to PS including referenced fonts. Now you should be able to re-distill and get fully embeded fonts.

Thanks in advance.

Why in the world are you converting from PDF to PostScript in Prinergy? Prinergy 4 and above supports real native PDF RIP workflow via the Adobe PDF Print Engine. Going to PostScript and then back to PDF is simply asking for problems. Assuming you have at least Prinergy 4, lose the d*mned PostScript by bypassing that PDF=>PostScript=>PDF so-called refining step. Assuming that the original PDF file displays correctly in Acrobat, you are likely to have no problems RIPing with the Adobe PDF Print Engine. And yes, such a problem may likely be do to combining PDF files where one or more of the PDF files have a less-than-stellar pedigree.

- Dov

going back to ps was the only way to correct the error and solve the problem. And unfortunately we are still on Prinergy EVO 3.1.6.6.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back