Unknown Register Mark

gordo

Do you recognize the attached register mark?

How does one read it? (e.g. the marks in the circles)
The scale in the top is in mm with 0,1 mm steps but the corresponding scale below? What unit is that and how should the deviation be measured?
Do the SID elements in the bottom requires special equipment to read it?
What type of printing is this mark used for?

Attachments

• reg_mark.pdf
    49.8 KB · Views: 206
Do you recognize the attached register mark?

How does one read it? (e.g. the marks in the circles)
The scale in the top is in mm with 0,1 mm steps but the corresponding scale below? What unit is that and how should the deviation be measured?
Do the SID elements in the bottom requires special equipment to read it?
What type of printing is this mark used for?

The scales in the circle looks like the ones used on a vernier caliper. I think it reads as 1.55

Here is a reference to such a scale.

Reading a Vernier

Nothing I have come across before, but I think I can see the purpose. Instead of looking at the cross-hair and "guessing" on adjustment, it could "in theory" give you a precise direction of movement. it reminds me a LOT of the register test patterns of an Epson.

Last edited:
Thanks all for helping me with this (especially Alois Senefelder) who PM'd me some PDFs. It is indeed a vernier register mark (as intuited by Erik) devised by Fogra apparently mostly in order to help qualify printing presses.

Thanks again!

I don't recognize the top half. The bottom half is used to check mechanical registration of a press - part of a Luchs CARE test. They check registration from unit to unit and repeatability of each unit.

These are utilized for qualifying and aligning a press during install/assembly and I've seen the very expensive tool used to read these. It basically a giant CCD or series of CCDs in a box that hooks up a laptop and tells you how close to register the press is. The installer/builder mechanics can make slight adjustments to make the press "zero".

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back