Upgrading to Ricoh 7200 series

KeepSwimming

I am looking to upgrade to the 7200 series. I am currently using a Pro7100s.

I understand the 7210 offers a 5th color. I believe I can use spot UV to increase profits, but I don't know how much more that would cost.

What's the difference between the 7200s and the 7200e other than speed and duty cycle? If there are other benefits, what are they and what's the cost difference?

We run a fair amount of booklets, which have been growing in page count over the past year. I think having a plotmatic, instead of the standard booklet maker like I have now, would be beneficial and an upsell for that nice square edge and full bleed capabilities. But, how much more would that cost?

I'm really trying to find that sweet spot in my equipment upgrades to enhance our product line, increase efficiency, and not go over board in this still uncertain market.

Offline finishing can be attractive for several reasons:
  • Decent, well maintained finishing equipment typically outlasts the life of a print engine several times over
  • If you have several print engines, your finishing is not tied to one machine
  • Your CPC will typically be the same irrespective of what size sheet you are printing. You can print a small booklet 4-up if you're finishing offline, versus 1-up if you're finishing in-line.

E:

Features​

• Outputs up to 85 ppm Color/B&W
  • Monthly volumes up to 240,000 pages
  • 2400 × 4800 dpi laser resolution with VCSEL Technology
  • Support for oversized sheets up to 13" × 49.6"
  • Auto-duplex up to 13" × 27.5"
  • Print on media up to 360 gsm, metallic, synthetic, NCR, adhesive and magnetic substrates
  • 16,200-sheet maximum paper capacity
  • lnline, near-line and offline finishing options
  • Upgradeable to a 5th Color Station
S:

Features​

• Outputs up to 95 ppm Color/B&W
  • Print on media up to 360 gsm, textured, synthetic, NCR, linen, adhesive and magnetic substrates
  • lnline, near-line and offline finishing option

Have you checked out the 5300?

Features​

• Outputs up to 80 ppm Color/B&W
  • Monthly volumes up to 150,000 pages
  • 2400 × 4800 dpi resolution with VCSEL Technology
  • Support for heavy, textured and synthetic substrates up to 360 gsm and oversized prints up to 13" × 49.6"
  • Auto-duplex up to 13" × 19.2"
  • 8,550-sheet maximum paper capacity
  • Inline, near-line and offline finishing options
If you would like to see the available configurations for the RICOH Pro C5300s/C5310s, visit the Ricoh Configurator pages for the following models:

E:

Features​

• Outputs up to 85 ppm Color/B&W
  • Print on media up to 360 gsm, metallic, synthetic, NCR, adhesive and magnetic substrates
  • lnline, near-line and offline finishing options
  • Upgradeable to a 5th Color Station
S:

Features​

• Outputs up to 95 ppm Color/B&W
  • Print on media up to 360 gsm, textured, synthetic, NCR, linen, adhesive and magnetic substrates
  • lnline, near-line and offline finishing option
Thanks, that's a big help! My volume is a bit too high for the 5300.
I was just looking into the Ricoh configurations, and frankly some of it is very confusing to me. :)
Do you ever print magnetic substrates? I just realized both machines claim you can.

I am looking to upgrade to the 7200 series. I am currently using a Pro7100s.

I understand the 7210 offers a 5th color. I believe I can use spot UV to increase profits, but I don't know how much more that would cost.

What's the difference between the 7200s and the 7200e other than speed and duty cycle? If there are other benefits, what are they and what's the cost difference?

We run a fair amount of booklets, which have been growing in page count over the past year. I think having a plotmatic, instead of the standard booklet maker like I have now, would be beneficial and an upsell for that nice square edge and full bleed capabilities. But, how much more would that cost?

I'm really trying to find that sweet spot in my equipment upgrades to enhance our product line, increase efficiency, and not go over board in this still uncertain market.
I know another shop with the 7200 and that 5th color spot UV is pretty weak if you ask me. I would get samples and them proceed. They mostly use the 5th for white, which in my opinion is a better option.

If the clear toner as the 7110 it is not comparable to spot UV. Even with the density at maximum it's doesn't stand out like a traditional UV or varnish.

I beg to differ, the clear can stand out if done correctly on the 7110. We did it for our own postcards on C2S stock and it looked great. Now getting customers to buy into it is a whole different deal.

I can see from the samples that it's not the same as spot UV, but it is a nice effect. As I understand you can make multiple passes to build it up also. Can't say I would have use for white toner, based on my current clients and print runs, or neons either. Perhaps the 5th color isn't worth it for us. Thank you all for your input!

I can see from the samples that it's not the same as spot UV, but it is a nice effect. As I understand you can make multiple passes to build it up also. Can't say I would have use for white toner, based on my current clients and print runs, or neons either. Perhaps the 5th color isn't worth it for us. Thank you all for your input!
My buddy that I mentioned would rather have gotten the 9200 and had the speed than the novelty of the 5th color is what he told me. I looked at one but decided on a 9110 that gives me the 750,000 clicks per month I need.

So here is the thing with the clear that I noticed. Really if you set Special to lay down with max density (5) it works really well, not so much raised like spot UV, but a very nice effect IF used with dull stock for the contrast. Blind hits on dulls/mattes are amazing IMO. Problem to me is if your laying it over toner it really doesn't have the impact I would expect. When you look for it you see it but it doesn't stand out. To get it work work a little better or make it more obvious was to cut the fusing temp back so the color toner isn't as glossy to allow for the clear to stand out. Again you need to play with this to see what I mean.

Also a nice effect is when using a black or blue paper, laying down White then coming back with Clear over the image you can create what appears to be like a silver. You might need to play with the density of the Clear to get it how you like but the effect is actually kinda neat.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back