Using LEAN at Printing company

thmurphy

Hi,

I am planning on doing a VSM at our printing company for a specific customer ( we have loads) and am looking at ideas /thoughts on how to go about it.

1) The customer has hundreds of SKU's, is there a better approach to focus on 2 - 3 SKU's ( I used the judgement of most commonly used ( volume) & repeatability & those which use most of the machines ).
2) What is the Unit to consider, should it be each label / each order( could have hundreds of labels) / any other way - I am looking at the process right from inventory coming in ( Paper boards) to the cartons / leaflets leaving the factory.
3) What is the typical OEE of machines at each of the different kinds of machines used in the printing world ( we make cartons and leaflets).
4) What would be key things for me to look out for since this is out first VSM in 4 years ( no clue what VSM was done earlier but am told it was done )

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds,
Tom

Hi Tom,

1. I would break the SKU's down into product type and pick the big / high value runners.

2. ?? - would need to know more about your situation

3. target OEE for equipment is 65%, WCM 85% - however you will struggle to hit those target is you have multiple set ups per shift. I use OEE to flag areas of concern, don't use it as a goal line, much the the annoyance of the department heads, they all want 100%.

4. ?? - would need to know more about your situation

A.

LEAN @ Printing Company

LEAN @ Printing Company

1) Thats perfect .. works inline with what i was thinking. I have selected the product with the max volume for the customer in question.
2) When we do a VSM, i was told that the unit being considered should be the same across the stream ..is this true ? Eg, in this case the board received is the unit flowing through which changes form at various stages ...ultimately ending up as x number of cartons.
3) When i calculate OEE should it be for each machine .. printer, cutter , Folding & Packing ? .. How do i / Can I roll all these into one single score to reflect the process OEE.?
4) Not sure if you have done a VSM earlier in the printing cartons and labels field .. if so, any insights would be great .. what are typical opportunites etc ?

Rgds,
Tom

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back