Using stochastic screening for coldset printing

chadfield

I'm wondering how many printers are using stochastic screening in a coldset web offset environment. We are a coldset printer only, at this time. We have a new client that, when looking at a piece printed at their previous printer, the half tones look a little sharper then the piece we printed. I discovered stochastic was used and yes, the halftones looked a little sharper but in another area of the image, all the 3/4 tones where lost and detail was gone. I've looked at the use of stochastic but determined that, in this environment, the investment would not be worth the gain. We have good process control for a coldset environment but from what I've read, you really need to be on your game in all areas to incorporate stochastic screening.

So, do people see it being used in the world of coldset all that often?

Thanks for all replies.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back